• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

About the Goat's Weed pepper

Hey guys,

Coming season I'm going to try to cross the Goat's Weed pepper with a yet to be determined hairless pepper. I want to see if the hairs help retain moisture and protect against weather extremes. Right now I'm in the planning phase, so I'm figuring out all the variables and stuff. 

Could anyone here tell me (from experience) if a seedling from a Goat's Weed shows it's pubescence straight away? This would help make selecting for the trait much easier.

[When the time comes, and if people are interested, I will make a glog and keep you guys updated. It's not going to be a very professional or high-end project because I just don't have the capacity to do that here. But as a proof of concept kind of thing it might be interesting nonetheless. Let me know what you guys think.

Also, to create some crowd participation straight away; if anyone has a suggestion which pepper to cross with, don't be shy. Bear in mind this is not about aesthetics or flavour, but about hardiness and heat-resistance. So please add why you think your suggestion is useful for this project, and I will take it into serious consideration.]

Edit: Oh and it seems Goat's Weed seeds are pretty hard to find from a reliable source. Any tips for quality seed?

Edit2: Inb4 hairy peter pepper jokes.

There are many here at THP who have grown true Goats Weed. I find them to be a two season plant to get any real production.  The first season I grew the plant produced a couple dozen peppers.  I overwintered plant and the second season the plant nearly doubled in size and I had gads of peppers all summer long.  

Just some general thoughts on the pepper your searching for.   Sorry to say I only share with people in the USA, but hopefully another member is in closer proximity to you and you can procure some seeds.  

cheers

Goats Weed / Black Cobra.    The hair on the leaves comes on very early.  What is most striking is the DEEP purple/black  leaves.  You can actually see the purple hue few days  after germination

I grew 3 planst and they were prolific in production.   A mean heat too.  One of the first peppers I consumed for supper and awakened in the wee hours of the morning with a "coal-train" chuggin' thruugh the gut.   :hot:  :hot:

ETA:  I found the pepers very heat resistant.  Serrano and Tabasco take the heat well here also.

Buzzman19 said:
There are many here at THP who have grown true Goats Weed. I find them to be a two season plant to get any real production.  The first season I grew the plant produced a couple dozen peppers.  I overwintered plant and the second season the plant nearly doubled in size and I had gads of peppers all summer long.  

Just some general thoughts on the pepper your searching for.   Sorry to say I only share with people in the USA, but hopefully another member is in closer proximity to you and you can procure some seeds.  

cheers

Thanks for the reply! It's an easy one to overwinter? No problem on the seeds, no doubt I'll find a good source eventually.

Streamer said:
Goats Weed / Black Cobra.    The hair on the leaves comes on very early.  What is most striking is the DEEP purple/black  leaves.  You can actually see the purple hue few days  after germination

I grew 3 planst and they were prolific in production.   A mean heat too.  One of the first peppers I consumed for supper and awakened in the wee hours of the morning with a "coal-train" chuggin' thruugh the gut.   :hot:  :hot:

ETA:  I found the pepers very heat resistant.  Serrano and Tabasco take the heat well here also.

That sounds like a beautiful pepper to grow. Thanks!

After you mentioned the Serrano pepper I did a little research and it turns out it is a hairy Annuum too? I thought I had read Goat's Weed was the only one. Would you say one is significantly hairier than the other? If the difference is negligable maybe the Serrano is a better base strain to start this project with..

Jalapeno is pretty much heat resistant also.  Don't think it's a "hairy" type.   I think under magnification, cilia can be found on many varieties of pepper.  Although Goats Weed outdoes them all for sure. Casual observation of the plant in the garden reveals this visual treat.  It's striking.  

Tabasco and Kung Pao. are another pair of heat resistant varieties. Although Kung Pao is a hybrid type.  But other similar types should do just as well.   All varieties of pepper I have mentioned thus far have been the best producers in my last 2 seasons in terms of heat performance and prolific production.

ETA:  Yes, Goats Weed is far more hairier than Serrano would ever be.

Great to hear that I was on the right trail, thanks! Those personal experiences were exactly what I was hoping for. I believe Tabasco is a Frutescens right? I was thinking I should maybe strictly use Annuums in this project to maximise viability and hybridization succes. 

I've been reading about bell pepper crops being wiped out by a summers weather extremes. Those plants might benefit from a little bonus heat resistance. I might try multiple crosses (Goat's x Hots and Goat's x Bells), just to see if the hairiness helps the bell peppers. My personal interest just lies with the hots though, so that'll be my main focus.

hogleg said:
I have and been growing Goatsweed aka black cobra pheno for about 6 years. They are OP, but if you would like some seeds just PM your address to me. In my experience they are extremely hearty against heat and cold.

The things I would most like to see it crossed with are

B.O.C.
Bahamian Goat
Aji Margeriteno
Aji Pineapple
Dong Xuan

Thanks for the offer! They've been OP for all those 6 years and still grow true? Or you don't use the seeds from the grown pods? I don't see a problem using OP seeds as long as they can give me some hair :)

The strains you suggested are all Baccatums, correct? Now is a good a time as any to ask this question, could make a new topic but since it's been brought up anyway. The chart I have on crossing (the one you find everywhere) mentions Annuum x Baccatum as NG (normal germination). Is this better or worse than PF (partially fertile)? In other words, does NG mean it crosses with a Baccatum just as well as with another Annuum? 

Just in case you decide to cross with Baccatum,  I remembered this old post about the baccatum that did well in the HEATl...our own member WindChicken in Louisiana stated the below quote

"I think if I were to recommend only one Capsicum baccatum for the Louisiana climate, a plant with a nice upright habit that would produce well through the hottest of the summer months, give tasty, spicy fruit, and seems to thrive on neglect, I would say Birgit's Locoto, probably the most resilient, productive, and versatile variety of C. baccatum that I've grown:"

From:    http://thehotpepper.com/topic/47537-what-is-your-favorite-baccatum-chili-and-why/page-3?hl=+birgits%20+locoto

b3rnd said:

Thanks for the offer! They've been OP for all those 6 years and still grow true? Or you don't use the seeds from the grown pods? I don't see a problem using OP seeds as long as they can give me some hair :)

The strains you suggested are all Baccatums, correct? Now is a good a time as any to ask this question, could make a new topic but since it's been brought up anyway. The chart I have on crossing (the one you find everywhere) mentions Annuum x Baccatum as NG (normal germination). Is this better or worse than PF (partially fertile)? In other words, does NG mean it crosses with a Baccatum just as well as with another Annuum? 

Only the aji pineapple and dong xuan are baccatums the others are chinense. I've never seen any crosses in mine and I've given away goatsweed seeds to dozens of members and no mention of crosses. Also within a month I will be given a bag of pods that are basically ISO from my Mexican friend, the only other peppers he grew other than goatsweed were pubescens this year (not compatible for crossing). If you don't mind waiting a month or so, I could send you some of the ISO seeds.

b3rnd said:

My Goat Weed from Hogleg seeds is true

az1000 said:
My Goat Weed from Hogleg seeds is true

hogleg said:

Only the aji pineapple and dong xuan are baccatums the others are chinense. I've never seen any crosses in mine and I've given away goatsweed seeds to dozens of members and no mention of crosses. Also within a month I will be given a bag of pods that are basically ISO from my Mexican friend, the only other peppers he grew other than goatsweed were pubescens this year (not compatible for crossing). If you don't mind waiting a month or so, I could send you some of the ISO seeds.

It would've been not problem anyway but great to hear they grow true. I really don't mind eather way hogleg, I find your offer awesome as it is. I'll send you a PM with the address, thanks a lot! I'll keep you updated if I make any progress with them.

Streamer said:
Just in case you decide to cross with Baccatum,  I remembered this old post about the baccatum that did well in the HEATl...our own member WindChicken in Louisiana stated the below quote

"I think if I were to recommend only one Capsicum baccatum for the Louisiana climate, a plant with a nice upright habit that would produce well through the hottest of the summer months, give tasty, spicy fruit, and seems to thrive on neglect, I would say Birgit's Locoto, probably the most resilient, productive, and versatile variety of C. baccatum that I've grown:"

From:    http://thehotpepper.com/topic/47537-what-is-your-favorite-baccatum-chili-and-why/page-3?hl=+birgits%20+locoto

That's very interesting. I'll have to figure out the chances of a succesful annuum x baccatum cross because I think for the project to succeed the fertility and viablity of the seed needs to be 100%. It sounds like a great strain!

Back