• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pale leaves on Bhut Jolokia plants

Hi.

I've been growing 2 bhut jolokias plants since April.
A month ago a few flowers appeared on them but dropped quickly resulting in no flowers and or even buds on both plants.
Now one of the plants (1) has flowers again and lots of good looking buds while the other plant (2) is having a really hard time growing buds (2 flowers appeared in the last few days but 1 dropped already). 

My issues:
- There are no buds on plant 2. Only 1 out of 2 flowers is on the plant right now, but looks fragile and ready to drop at any time.
- For a few weeks now I'm noticing that many leaves on both plants (more significant on plant 2) look pale, with light green color.
- A few dark brown spots exist on very few leaves too

Plant 1 is giving me hope that I'm not doing anything too bad because flowers keep appearing and they look healthy but I'm really concerned about the leaves color. 

I'm using an AutoPot system - can this be creating a over-watering problem?  -- http://www.autopot.co.uk/1pot-extension-kit-detail
I've also cut on fertilizers quite hard. I tried a small dose of MaxiBloom on plant 2. I see a few new dark green leaves but the existent ones are pale.

Temperature, humidity, light and air circulation are fine. Photo of pale leaves below.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated :)

Cheers
João

img_580a697f7f531.png

Hi Johnny,

I had something similar on some store bought habs, just had a slightly yellow greeny colour. Granted mine aren't at the pod level, but I've read it's potentially an overwatering issue, or lack of nutrients. Advise I received was to let the soil dry out (I had a custom mix of perilite etc that made that easy) and then give a weak fert water. I have to say that one of the two seems to have responded quite well, and whilst it hasnt gone dark green, it's looking more robust.

First bought:

jDYecJW.jpg

Re-potted > Soil dried out over a week > Bottom water + Seasol/Powerfeed (credit to Shorerider for assistance).

Y8gzI19.jpg

Sev

I added some calcified seaweed to mine which were dropping and now mine have loads of flowers and a few pods. Might not help you with your problem, as mine was Air flow and greenfly as much as nutrients.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

existing/old leaves that are light coloured will not generally go dark again. This is because changes in old leaves are caused by a deficiency of immobile nutrients (i.e ones that dont "move" around the plant).
So "at a time" the plant was not getting what it needed as can be referenced by its old grown. As the nutes required to make them go dark again are not "mobile" they cannot travel to the already effected parts of plant. They can only travel to the new growth :)

So basically, look to the old leaves for past or ongoing problems. Look to the new leaves for your plants current health. If it effects both new and old growth. Immobile nute. New growth = mobile nute.

generally immobile nutes will show signs of deficiency in old growth & potentially new growth. and mobile nutes will show deficiency in new growth only. I think I got that the right way around? :)

nzchili said:
existing/old leaves that are light coloured will not generally go dark again. This is because changes in old leaves are caused by a deficiency of immobile nutrients (i.e ones that dont "move" around the plant).
So "at a time" the plant was not getting what it needed as can be referenced by its old grown. As the nutes required to make them go dark again are not "mobile" they cannot travel to the already effected parts of plant. They can only travel to the new growth :)

So basically, look to the old leaves for past or ongoing problems. Look to the new leaves for your plants current health. If it effects both new and old growth. Immobile nute. New growth = mobile nute.

generally immobile nutes will show signs of deficiency in old growth & potentially new growth. and mobile nutes will show deficiency in new growth only. I think I got that the right way around? :)

Nice to know that nzchili. In fact new growth leaves are coming out dark green and the plants are starting to flower as well! :) From my limited knowledge I'd say the light green leaves comes from lack of nitrogen that might have happened in the past. Does that make sense?

johnnyfive said:

Nice to know that nzchili. In fact new growth leaves are coming out dark green and the plants are starting to flower as well! :) From my limited knowledge I'd say the light green leaves comes from lack of nitrogen that might have happened in the past. Does that make sense?

exactly :)

Great news - woke up this morning the see that the first pepper has taken off growing! :) It was a bit dark in the tent to see it clearly but it definitely looks like a c. chinense.
I've been hand pollinating in the last few days due to heavy flower dropping. That should have done the trick.

Back