• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Bonchi ppl- do you typically get pods over the winter?

Just like the thread titles asks: those of you who grow bonchi plants, do you get pods all winter?  I'm mostly curious b/c it seems like a convenient way to get isolated seeds, plus it'd be rad to have fresh pods year-round, even if it's just a slow trickle...

Bicycle, may I ask what kind of lighting you're using? I'm trying to bonchi a couple of my plants also, and looking for as much info as I can find on lighting options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Mike5265 said:
Bicycle, may I ask what kind of lighting you're using? I'm trying to bonchi a couple of my plants also, and looking for as much info as I can find on lighting options.

I'm not using anything yet; I'm still in the "planning" stages of this l'il project.   :P

I'm going to chop 3-4 of my plants for overwinter Bonchi in the next week or two.
I'm going to mostly attempt to keep them alive. South facing window, 65-70F.
If they don't look pretty i don't mind, as long as they make it till next season.

Malarky said:
I'm going to chop 3-4 of my plants for overwinter Bonchi in the next week or two.
I'm going to mostly attempt to keep them alive. South facing window, 65-70F.
If they don't look pretty i don't mind, as long as they make it till next season.

Makes sense.

I'm thinking that it'd be easy to keep these jawns isolated, for the sake of saving seed.  Even if I don't get pods, I could definitely take clones.  

Gotcha! Like you, I'm in it for fresh pods year round. I think one of the biggest factors is getting them used to their new environment and bouncing back from the pruning before you do a big root cutting. I could be wrong, and I'm kinda flying in the face of most of the information out there, but I've also seen a lot of people lose their plants after a few weeks. I'll take an ugly live plant over a pretty dead one any day. I've got mine (orange habanero and hot wax) under a t8 bulb for now inside of a little reflective box I threw together.

dragonsfire said:
Biggest problem I have found is those Aphids, keeping ahead of them :(

Yeah, i've been reading about that.  For some reason, it surprises me that it'd be such a problem, indoors.  But, apparently, it is.

I've yet to see any on my plants, even when they were outside. Is an aphid infestation one of those things that rears it's head over night, or could I already be missing early warning signs?

Bicycle808 said:
Yeah, i've been reading about that.  For some reason, it surprises me that it'd be such a problem, indoors.  But, apparently, it is.

Mike5265 said:
I've yet to see any on my plants, even when they were outside. Is an aphid infestation one of those things that rears it's head over night, or could I already be missing early warning signs?
I don't think you get aphids indoors. But I think that it only takes a few that get brought inside to explode in population. My understanding is that an indoor set up with no wind, no spiders, no ladybugs, etc., is prime for aphids to multiply. Fans help, but it's important to bring in pest free plants.

I think this can be achieved by dunking the entire plant in warm water with a bit of dish soap, neem oil, or Azamax for about 15 minutes.

Get em potted up yet bicycle? Haha I'm curious like a kid on Christmas. I like seeing other people with shared interests, mostly because my wife is convinced that I belong in the looney bin for some of the things I do. (She's probably not wrong)

Back