• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hungarian Paprika Pepper Suggestions?

Hi All, newbie here...looking for suggestions for my 2017 grow.

2016 was my first year growing peppers, 2nd year growing anything....

Started from seed:
-2 x Cayenne Lrg (burpee)
-2 x Thai Hot (burpee)
-2 x Leutschauer (baker creek)
-2 x Scotch Bonnet (baker creek)

Had good experiences growing/ smoking/ dehydrating/ powdering etc. 

Anybody have any experience with growing Hungarian Paprika peppers? Good or
Bad?

Any suggestions would be welcome, already bought some seeds from "reputable vendors" (Thanks Vendor Vault!)

2017 List so far, all for smoked paprika to be given as gifts. Mother in-law has already used half the powder from this years grow!

- Leutschauer (baker creek)
- Kalocsa (refining fire chilies)
- Szegedi 179 (refining fire chilies)
- Hunagrian Black (whitehotpeppers)
- Feher Ozon (pepperjoe)

Welcome to The Hot Pepper!

This was my second year growing paprika varieties. I made paprika powder last year and it was very good. Love to sprinkle it on potato soup plus I made goulash. This year I grew more plants and I've made smoked paprika powder.

The varieties I'm growing are:
Szegedi 20
Szegedi 80
Kalocsai 622

Another pepper, this one from Macedonia, is Kurtovska Kapija. It is used in a condiment called Ajvar. Not knowing better, last year I blended it in with the true paprika varieties. Didn't seem to hurt any.

All these varieties have produced well for me.
I picked these Kurtovska Kapija yesterday:

58f9563b3942e643c6bffc5e03a1c38c.jpg

And here are some of the Szegedi peppers:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
09e289807ed4b6c9d91b1152ab4bacc2.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Welcome to the Forum !!

Thanks, caught the pepper bug last year and this website has only made it worse.
kentishman said:
Welcome to The Hot Pepper!

This was my second year growing paprika varieties. I made paprika powder last year and it was very good. Love to sprinkle it on potato soup plus I made goulash. This year I grew more plants and I've made smoked paprika powder.

The varieties I'm growing are:
Szegedi 20
Szegedi 80
Kalocsai 622

Another pepper, this one from Macedonia, is Kurtovska Kapija. It is used in a condiment called Ajvar. Not knowing better, last year I blended it in with the true paprika varieties. Didn't seem to hurt any.

All these varieties have produced well for me.
I picked these Kurtovska Kapija yesterday:

58f9563b3942e643c6bffc5e03a1c38c.jpg

And here are some of the Szegedi peppers:

09e289807ed4b6c9d91b1152ab4bacc2.jpg

Who was your source for the Szegedi 20/ and 80? Would love to purchase/ grow as many varieties as possible.

kentishman said:
Here are some pics from a couple of weeks ago, making smoked paprika powder:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/62395-homemade-smoked-paprika-powder/
I noticed you removed the seeds before smoking. Was that a personal preference? Or should I be removing seeds before smoking? Thanks for the help and suggestions.

I got my paprika seeds mostly from THP members in Hungary and Romania. I saved plenty of seeds and will be happy to send you them. Send me a message if you're interested.

It is easy to remove the seeds (a lot easier with the paprikas than some other pepper varieties), and I figure the seeds won't improve the flavor. Personal preference.

I only tried "Leutschauer Paprika".

I wouldnt recommend it for "eating fresh", because it has a hard skin and not very much sugar in it.

But It makes a good and intense relatively mild powder.

On a site obsessed with heat the humble paprika is often overlooked.
Grow it, smoke it , dry it .
You will love it. A heaped tablespoon in a bowl of potato and leek soup( or any other soup) , heaven.
I usually blend it with smoked chocolate Hab powder.

Give the Spanish and French varieties a go.  I found that the Hungarian varieties are not as distinctly flavoured.

Try  Bresse or Espelette (French) - they are really good.  For a show-stopper try the Espelette smoked (I used a light smoking with olive wood but peach was equally good - I left the peach a bit longer though)

kentishman said:
I got my paprika seeds mostly from THP members in Hungary and Romania. I saved plenty of seeds and will be happy to send you them. Send me a message if you're interested.

It is easy to remove the seeds (a lot easier with the paprikas than some other pepper varieties), and I figure the seeds won't improve the flavor. Personal preference.
Once a figure out how to PM you I will!

Zackorz said:
I only tried "Leutschauer Paprika".

I wouldnt recommend it for "eating fresh", because it has a hard skin and not very much sugar in it.

But It makes a good and intense relatively mild powder.
Whoa "mild", we thought it was pretty hot in comparison to store bought. But sooooo much better. Guess my tolerance level has a long way to go.

karoo said:
On a site obsessed with heat the humble paprika is often overlooked.
Grow it, smoke it , dry it .
You will love it. A heaped tablespoon in a bowl of potato and leek soup( or any other soup) , heaven.
I usually blend it with smoked chocolate Hab powder.
Ohhh will try the blend sounds interesting. I did purchased some Jamaican Hot Chocolate seeds from Justin (whitehotpepper.com), along with some bonnet varieties. Thanks for the tip!

RobStar said:
Give the Spanish and French varieties a go.  I found that the Hungarian varieties are not as distinctly flavoured.

Try  Bresse or Espelette (French) - they are really good.  For a show-stopper try the Espelette smoked (I used a light smoking with olive wood but peach was equally good - I left the peach a bit longer though)
I had no idea there were French varieties....I think I may run out of grow space in 2017! I am on the hunt for more seeds. :dance:

Have one more "insider" for you:

"Pimientos de Padron" is very prolific and very tasty grilled. What the most people dont know is, that ripe "Padrons" make a wonderfull and sweet powder.

This pepper gives you everything: good yield, nice fresh peppers and good powder too.

kentishman said:
Zackorz,

How about the heat in Padron powder? My large Padrons were quite hot.

The heat is very different. One Pod is hot, the next mild. Mine last year had quite some heat, if you want a really mild powder you can cut out the placenta before drying the peppers.

Zackorz, those padrons sound good. When you say "ripe" do you mean turn red? Most pics/recipes online show them green and fried. Thanks for the secret! Will order them asap.

RRichter said:
Zackorz, those padrons sound good. When you say "ripe" do you mean turn red? Most pics/recipes online show them green and fried. Thanks for the secret! Will order them asap.

Yes,, the green ones are good for roasting and when they turn red they are good for making powder :-)

RRichter said:
I had no idea there were French varieties....I think I may run out of grow space in 2017! I am on the hunt for more seeds. :dance:

If you want some original Espelette seeds I can send you some! :) I have plenty!

Wow, thank you everyone for their suggestions, and offers for seeds. If anyone is interested in Leutschauer paprika seeds, feel free to PM me. They make a great smoked HOT paprika.

Back