• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Let's talk about flavor

What kind of flavors do you look for in a hot pepper?  I mainly look for a fruity flavor, what would you recommend that has an amazing fruity or citrus type flavor?  

Yellow 7 Pod, Fatalii, Lemon Drop, Cumari do Para for Citrus flavor.

Fruity Flavor: Roccoto Canario, Datil, Scotch Bonnet MOA, Bishops Crown.

Im looking for sweetness and fruityness in peppers. I also like nutty taste and " floralness". I hate biterness and soapy taste.

What heat level?

Mild I'd go Aji fantasy, lemon drop, Venezuelan tiger.

Hot I'd go MoA scotch bonnet, paper lanterns habanero.

Super, I'd go yellow Brain strain, Yellow CARDI scorpion, and peach bhut.

But that's just my opinion and you know what they say about those.....

Just saw you like nuttiness. Def try the Pimenta De Neyde or anytging that's crosses with the PDN.

And that's not a list of what tastes fruity to me, it's just a sample of what I like.

Also, CGN 21500

I love the smokeyness of bhuts, sweetness of cheyenne, as well as the citusy flavour you get in some. What I can't really like is the pungent almost acidic taste you get in some peppers.

A pod I tried recently was a orange scotch bonnet long grown by trident chilli which was amazing and I'm sure I could taste a tangerine flavour. This pod was among the best I have ever tasted and looked beautiful as well.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I like the "earthy-ness" of habanero's.
Sweetness of bishops crown and brazilian starfish
citrusy of yellow fatalii.
My 2 newest favorites come from Aji Amarillo and Orange Scotch Bonnet although I couldn't tell you if they were more citrus or sweet but a combination of both and perfect heat level for me.

Hawaiianero said:
I like the "earthy-ness" of habanero's.
Sweetness of bishops crown and brazilian starfish
citrusy of yellow fatalii.
My 2 newest favorites come from Aji Amarillo and Orange Scotch Bonnet although I couldn't tell you if they were more citrus or sweet but a combination of both and perfect heat level for me.

+1 for aji amarillo. Tons of fruitiness and citrus flavors. I was really surprised by that one this year.
     And for pure fruitiness, I'd have to go with Caribbean reds, wild Brazil and some Scotch bonnets (P. Dreadie, TFM...).

Poblano for its proper capsicum flavour - if green then roasted or raw. Ripe - roasted or stuffed.

Piment de Padron - (must be green) shallow fried in olive oil til blistered and served with a good smattering of sea salt

Tepin - (green or ripe) awesome woody flavour and kicks like a mule.  Pickle the green ones - awesomeness!

Goat's Weed - green/black (unripe) - the most aromatic annuum and kicks like a mule in the balls

Aji Amarillo - delicious fruitiness and an intense deep burn like a rocoto.  The best C. baccatum.

CARDI Yellow Scorpion - one of the best Scotch Bonnets - probably better than MOA.  Very fruity with strong citrus overtones, sweet crunchy flesh with a decent burn.

Bhut Jolokia - unbelievable citrus aroma - like peeling a mandarin.

I would add.....

Orange Ghost Pepper
7 Pot Orange

Pimento L Sweet Pepper

Its the best tasting sweet pepper in my opinion.  They can get really dense and meaty also, really thick walled.  Love them!

Back