• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Frozen Lemon Drops

Much to my surprise they hold up very well to freezing. I had a bag of about 250 grams frozen. I chopped them up into rings and added 50/50 water/vinegar a little sugar and salt. I was going to make a hot sauce but i got delayed until today. After a few days in the fridge i tried some. Nice and crunchy. They would be hard to tell from fresh. I even made a small plate of nachos with them...not bad at all really.

Today they are on their way to becoming hot sauce. I almost feel guilty because they were so tasty as pickled pepper rings.

250grams lemon drops
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs pineapple juice concentrate
1/4 teaspoon tumeric for color mainly
1.5 tsp crystallized ginger
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
Brine:
25% cane vinegar
25% double strength rice vinegar
50% water

Good to know, and it surprises me: I would have thought they would be mushy after they thawed out. Did the vinegar solution crisp them up?

It turned out much spicier than expected. Color is slightly off too but its a dam fine hot sauce. I got about 500ml of sauce. Next version will get 1 yellow bell, fresh lemon grass added and maybe some deletions such as the turmeric..
LemonDropHS_zpseltivxur.jpg

BTW the tailing from the strainer made a fantastic pepper powder. Super tasty mixed with some mayo or tartar sauce.

Back