• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

First name on the team sheet for 2017?

What is your first name on the team sheet for 2017 and why?

Mine is Trinidad Scorpion Yellow CARDI, my 5 year old veteran... headed into his sixth year. But not just the sentimental value, remains my no.1 all round favourite. Productive, huge pods, great fruity flavour and really managable heat (about 100-200k SHU). I can safely whack one on a curry or chilli-con-carne without fear of making it too hot, whilst adding a sublime heat and flavour.

d20a89fe5eac1db7fe8ebd2fb7cf289b.jpg

Been doing chocolate hab for a couple years, gonna keep that going
Aji Amarillo just got added to the forever list
Brazillian starfish and Bishops hat are mainstays mostly for the not-so-tolerant members of my family.
Got a 4 year old red Bhut Jolokia in the ground, it's looking tired. Might replace it with a different color if I can get seeds.
Keeping yellow Fatalii but Orange Scotch Bonnet is on the fence, still trying to decide whether I like Orange Habanero more. One must go.
Red Savina is a keeper hands down.
Not doing Carolina Reaper or red 7 Pot Brainstrain. All heat, no flavor to me.

Have Peach Congo and White 7 Pot but not sure if I like the flavor. Waiting to get enough to make a batch of powder. Then I'll know if they will survive.

Bhut Orange Copenhagen (BOC)

This is a tough choice. I've tried many great new pods this season. Lots of good ones. I'm going for at least 50 different varieties 2017.

Gary turned me on to his BOC. It has a good amount of heat, and no bitterness. Actually sweet tasting. He says the plants look beautiful and are prolific. I'm sold.

So the top of the list is
1. BOC

First, as it always is:  Bahamian Goat.  Also Aleppo, Padron, Pimente De Bresse, Murupi Amarela, Bishop's Hat and Chocolate Habs.  Probably will end up with 20+ more in the dirt by June, but those are the main peppers I hold near and dear.  :)

Other peppers may come and go but the Jalapeño has a permanent spot on my grow list always! Aji Dulce will too, if I can find a better seed to grow. Probably Bhut Jolokia for the third spot, it truly is the best super, as far as flavor goes, that I've eaten.

dennish said:
Made me laugh out loud how most can't resist naming several peppers, haha!

Someone should compile a growlist from everyone's first choice, I'm sure that would be a humdinger! 
I did exactly that with my first and second place. Decided to rewrite my post. But, Jigsaw x Red Habanero is a good one as well.

My Brown Large Scorpion cross, of course.

2017 will be third year in my effort to completely stabilize it, only had one recessive plant this year that grew out the big yellow pods from the Yellow 7-Pot/King Naga parent.

dennish said:
What is your first name on the team sheet for 2017 and why?

Mine is Trinidad Scorpion Yellow CARDI, my 5 year old veteran... headed into his sixth year. But not just the sentimental value, remains my no.1 all round favourite. Productive, huge pods, great fruity flavour and really managable heat (about 100-200k SHU). I can safely whack one on a curry or chilli-con-carne without fear of making it too hot, whilst adding a sublime heat and flavour.

d20a89fe5eac1db7fe8ebd2fb7cf289b.jpg
Dennis I got Giant Cardi Yellow Scorpion form the hippy seed company.
To my understanding it is a bigger version of the regular cardi .
http://thehippyseedcompany.com/product/giant-yellow-cardi-scorpion/
As to what is going in the #1 slot have not decided yet will post again when the dust has settled

Trident chilli said:
Mine would have to be the Schnieder Farm Scotch Bonnet ....

John that Schnieder Farm Scotch Bonnet looks like the ideal bonnet pheno ;) 

Plantguy76 said:
Hey, this is more than a little off-topic, but I want to give gigantic kudos, and my vote of approval to Hippy Seed Company. I ordered from the 3 times this season, happy every single one of them. Even though they are in Australia, I got my seeds faster than I got any of my domestic purchases. So if anyone has been debating on whether or no to purchase from them, I say go for it. :thumbsup:

Plantguy76 said:
To my understanding it is a bigger version of the regular cardi .
http://thehippyseedcompany.com/product/giant-yellow-cardi-scorpion/
As to what is going in the #1 slot have not decided yet will post again when the dust has settled

John that Schnieder Farm Scotch Bonnet looks like the ideal bonnet pheno ;) 

Sorry to take this off topic, but agree Giant TS CARDI look great, I'd be a bit dubious as to whether this was a different strain, from what I've seen TS CARDI is capable of giant pods and my plants have produced them as big as described over on the hippy seed company site... still interesting though, if the seeds weren't so expensive I may be tempted.

Back