• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brown and Red - Same plant

Got seed for something called Super Hot Beast.  I had a warning about being unstable and oh boy was it.  From seed catalog picture, pods should be orange.  Instead, same plant has a branch or two that transition from green to red and several branches that transitioned green to brown.  I am letting some go to rot to see if there is a final transition.

Is this even possible?  I know several peppers that do funky things with color changing pods, but so far it has always been transitional colors based on the ripening of the pod.

Love when things go sideways.  But this one is odd.

AJ Drew said:
Got seed for something called Super Hot Beast.  I had a warning about being unstable and oh boy was it.  From seed catalog picture, pods should be orange.  Instead, same plant has a branch or two that transition from green to red and several branches that transitioned green to brown.  I am letting some go to rot to see if there is a final transition.

Is this even possible?  I know several peppers that do funky things with color changing pods, but so far it has always been transitional colors based on the ripening of the pod.

Love when things go sideways.  But this one is odd.
Can you post a couple of pics of the plant/pods ????

CAPCOM said:
I have a chocolate scorpion that was throwing chocolate pods all year long. Brought it indoors and it is now throwing red pods.

I really thought that was not supposed to happen.  Kind of feeling dumb now.

Prob has both red and brown genetics in it. Not stupid at all...sounds interesting. I had an ornamental rainbow pepper at one point that had multiple color peppers on the same plant...would be cool to get a rainbow superhot plant.

SavinaRed said:
Can you post a couple of pics of the plant/pods ????

After all this trick or treat stuff.  This weekend, I am wake up, get dressed, go do something that involves candy.  I think it goes threw till Monday night this year.  Started on Thursday. 

It happens, I have a Bhutlah (PL) that made red pods on all but one branch, and that branch made brown pods.

I had a fatalii once that produced typical fatalii pods on all branches except one branch which produced crazy scorpion shaped pods such as the one on my profile pic. I would love to have a plant produce different coloured pods though.

Something like this?

14izxfm.jpg

Zonengorg said:
Something like this?

14izxfm.jpg
That looks amazing.. but I think you will find that those chillies all ripen to red. I'm guessing they go from purple, green, yellow then red.

The original post is regarding fruit that completely ripen from green to red and green to brown on the same plant.

Back