• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense SAFI RED , HABANERO CARIBBEAN RED , RED SAVINA , WHOS THE BEST ?

Yeah, Safi red I think might be the tastiest pepper I have tried yet.  It beat all the other bonnets I had this year.   If I had to pick one, I would grow this before MOA or any of the others.  My plant got off to a bad start only about a dozen pods this year but will grow a few plants next year for sure.  I am not a big fan of caribbean red, I think they are qutie a bit hotter than the safi, but taste is no where near as good to me.

You guys compare me the heat of Savina vs Safi? Only had a few savinas but they were screaming hot iirc!

Chewi said:
You guys compare me the heat of Savina vs Safi? Only had a few savinas but they were screaming hot iirc!
They are HOT, mine this year are pure fire and it had been a few years since I grew them and forget they were around .5 MM on the scale hahah

How is Safi better in flavor??  For some reason I can't hear the audio in the above video. Scotch bonnets taste like habs to me, guess I haven’t acquired a taste yet

Well scotch bonnets don't taste like habanero's to me since the time I was a noob to pepper growing.
If they did I wouldn't be here now it was a scotch bonnet that started my addiction an a Habanero that almost ended it just out of the gate but hey taste is a very subjective thing

Plantguy76 said:
Well scotch bonnets don't taste like habanero's to me since the time I was a noob to pepper growing.
If they did I wouldn't be here now it was a scotch bonnet that started my addiction an a Habanero that almost ended it just out of the gate but hey taste is a very subjective thing

I agree that taste is subjective....

I think that, with any 2 things, you can play it like a third-grade writing assignment and compare/contrast.  There are a lot of similarities between the flavor of Habs and SBs.  But, there are also a lot f differences.  Depending on a number of factors, some folks are bound to focus on the similarities, while others will be more concerned with the differences.

Personally, I love Habs, but there's something friggin' magical about a good bonnet.  Just an aspect of the flavor profile that, personally, i cannot ID for sure, but I know it's there.  The thing is, I can't argue against someone who says they all taste the same, nor would i disagree with someone who says they're totally different.  It's pretty subjective.  But, I can tell a Bonnet from a Hab just from smelling a freshly-sliced pod.  Whatever it is that I cannot describe, i can definitely discern it.

Back