• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Krishna Jolokia?

I've been seeing several sites selling seeds for this pepper lately but all use a copy/paste of the same description. It is apparently a black pepper with a medium heat suitable for everyday indian cooking, yet has a "unique" flavour. Does anyone know anything more? Specifically what sort of flavour that might be?

No clue but do think that the name is hilarious for a couple of reasons.  The best being that the dietary guidelines for Krishnas includes nothing spicy.

AJ Drew said:
No clue but do think that the name is hilarious for a couple of reasons.  The best being that the dietary guidelines for Krishnas includes nothing spicy.

Supposedly it just means "black" in the Assam dialect but I feel as though that raises more questions than it answers.

spicefreak said:

Supposedly it just means "black" in the Assam dialect but I feel as though that raises more questions than it answers.

I don't know a thing about the languages in India (assuming India).  I just know the Krishna Ashram had free dinner Tuesday and Thursday at the ashram in Columbus, OH.  Started volunteering for their food bank, sold their books in my store, did what I could.  Not sure if it is all Ashrams or just that one, but they do some fantastic work with young people.  Most were recovering addicts and run aways who would dedicate for a year and then return to their families clean.

Never heard of the Krishna Jolokia, but to somewhat answer some of the other stuff... the word "krishna" descends from the Sanskrit word meaning "black" or "dark" or "dark blue".  So the "krishna jolokia" would probably literally be translated as the "dark pepper" or "black pepper" or something.  It is also the name of a Hindu god.  Which leads to AJ Drew's statement... somewhat.  I think he's referring to believers in the Hare Krishna movement.  I believe they forbid (?) garlic and onions in their cooking or something like that.  That's all I got. :)

I'll shed some light on this 7 years later 🤣🤣

This year I saw that one of my suppliers had Krishna Jolokia seeds and I was attracted by the photos and description which, as they say here, is all a copy and paste from other sites.

I can only find new one info that come from a wild variety from Assam.

This year I grew 2 Krishna Jolokia plants.

The seeds germinated well and the seedlings were very strong and resistant. They looked wonderful with their black stems and leaves. It grew rapidly.

As it grows, the black on the leaves disappears and only remains on the edges and some mottling.
When it is adult, there is only black and purple stems and quite dark leaves, some with black edges or veins.

The plant grows quickly and branches quite a bit. It was the first to bloom.
The flowers is violet. I get constant flowering and flower set for almost two months.

The pods is initially black and some is black with the part closest to the stem green, but when they grow they become black as well.
The pods take forever to ripen.
Krishna Jolokia was the first variety of 12 to flower and one of the last to give me ripe peppers.
The pods ripen from black to dark red. More than half of it shows nice black shading in places. It measure between 2 and 3" long and 1/2" wide.

Its a massive producer. I got about 80 pods per plant (in 5 gallon pot).

The flavor is wonderful. Flavor like Thai peppers, but much more intense, smoky and earthy. It also reminds me (a little) of the Carolina reaper flavor, but without the fruitiness.
The flavor lingers in the mouth for a while.

I made a fermented sauce with these that is delicious.

Also, it has a strong, long-lasting kick, perhaps the hottest annum I've ever tried. It can easily be twice as hotter than serrano.

IMG20230701165906.jpg

IMG20230701170024.jpg

Back