• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What chillies will we be growing 10 years from now?

I hope the community gets a lot more scientific backup. The nutrient value of peppers is pretty amazing, and it might be one of the few fruits that'll still grow in places that are going to be too hot for other fruiting plants. I don't like the route most growers are taking now. The quest for the hottest pepper is so invaluable, it's just something to put behind one's name until someone breeds a hotter strain. Same with breeding for pod shape. It seems so superficial and shallow. Not to disrespect anyone, just seems the effort could be pointed in a better direction.

Bell pepper is not only an excellent source of carotenoids, but also a source of over 30 different members of the carotenoid nutrient family. A recent study from Spain took a close look vitamin C, vitamin E, and six of these carotenoids (alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lycopene, lutein, cryptoxanthin and zeaxanthin) in all commonly eaten foods and found that only two vegetables contained at least two-thirds of all the listed nutrients. One of these foods was tomato, and the other was sweet bell pepper! Bell pepper alone provided 12% of the total zeaxanthin found in the participants' diets. (Bell pepper also provided 7% of the participants' total vitamin C intake.)

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=50&tname=foodspice   

And that's not even mentioning the health benifits of capsaicin, which according to studies might help fight inflammations, have cardiovascular benefits and lower risk of type-2 diabetes. There are even signs that it could help stop the spread of prostate cancer. If there was a combined effort to increase sustainability, nutrient value, growth rate, flavor and weather resistance, I think the pepper plant could help a lot of people in the future.

I know everyone loves to cross the meanest looking hottest peppers to create the next monster, but to me that's already getting old.  I hope 10 years from now, people are concentrating more on flavor when doing crosses.  I don't want a BTR x Viper or a Moruga Bhutlah Ghost Scorp.  I'd like to see BOC Fataliis or SB7J Bahamian Goats.

b3rnd said:
I hope the community gets a lot more scientific backup. The nutrient value of peppers is pretty amazing, and it might be one of the few fruits that'll still grow in places that are going to be too hot for other fruiting plants. I don't like the route most growers are taking now. The quest for the hottest pepper is so invaluable, it's just something to put behind one's name until someone breeds a hotter strain. Same with breeding for pod shape. It seems so superficial and shallow. Not to disrespect anyone, just seems the effort could be pointed in a better direction.

And that's not even mentioning the health benifits of capsaicin, which according to studies might help fight inflammations, have cardiovascular benefits and lower risk of type-2 diabetes. There are even signs that it could help stop the spread of prostate cancer. If there was a combined effort to increase sustainability, nutrient value, growth rate, flavor and weather resistance, I think the pepper plant could help a lot of people in the future.

Interesting idea on the health and nutrition aspect. Wouldn't it be great to be able to measure for heat and nutritional value! Imagine breeding fruit that have the perfect heat, flavour and start selecting for concentrated nutrients also.. I wander how that would interact with flavour?

Though I still think visual appearance is important, it's fun to have lots of colours and crazy shapes and keeps interest in the hobby.

I bet it's not impossible to breed a chilli that ripens red with some green stripes.. the Simpsons do have a knack for predicting lol
Bofu said:
I don't want a BTR x Viper or a Moruga Bhutlah Ghost Scorp.  I'd like to see BOC Fataliis or SB7J Bahamian Goats.
Mate, won't have to wait ten years for all those varieties to pop up id give it 12 months lol

Jase4224 said:
Interesting idea on the health and nutrition aspect. Wouldn't it be great to be able to measure for heat and nutritional value! Imagine breeding fruit that have the perfect heat, flavour and start selecting for concentrated nutrients also.. I wander how that would interact with flavour?

Though I still think visual appearance is important, it's fun to have lots of colours and crazy shapes and keeps interest in the hobby.

I bet it's not impossible to breed a chilli that ripens red with some green stripes.. the Simpsons do have a knack for predicting lol

Yeah I didn't mean people shouldn't breed for cool shapes and colors anymore. That would be cruel :D It's one of the reasons I become interested in growing peppers in the first place. But yeah it would be cool if there was a way to measure nutrient value, holy shit. Ofcourse they can in laboratories, but a DIY-kit like the soil tests or something would be amazing. But the institutions like NuMex seem like they have their priorities mixed up. Especially big ones like them with all the equipment should at least have side projects that cover this. They have the means for it. Maybe I'm wrong and they're already doing it. But all I've seen from them are (beautiful) ornamentals and heatless chinenses. Some other stuff too but you get the point.

Jase4224 said:
What you saw in the Simpsons was actually that greenish shade all neon yellow seems to have. For a non-neon version, see the Enjoya Bell Pepper. I've been trying to cross it with my Ghosts but they refuse to flower simultaneously.

spicefreak said:
What you saw in the Simpsons was actually that greenish shade all neon yellow seems to have. For a non-neon version, see the Enjoya Bell Pepper. I've been trying to cross it with my Ghosts but they refuse to flower simultaneously.
Awesome, is that Enjoya Bell stable?

Probably about 20 years from now, but I would suspect that pepper plants will have their genomes sequenced, and when many are sequenced the gene expressions can be tracked to the translated proteins, and maybe we will have an understanding by then of which gene variations to use to manipulate the outcome of the fruits flavors, shapes, colors, etc.

You could then cross peppers based upon which genes (attributes) you are targeting, or splice the DNA and replicate it with DIY CRISPRs to get exactly what you want.

Jase4224 said:
Awesome, is that Enjoya Bell stable?

It is currently unknown what the state of the strain's genetics is but, since it is grown commercially from cuttings, it may well not be. And, as far as big business is concerned, it'd be better to keep it that way.
If we want to be sure then we'll have to grow it within the chilli community.

Bofu said:
Probably about 20 years from now, but I would suspect that pepper plants will have their genomes sequenced, and when many are sequenced the gene expressions can be tracked to the translated proteins, and maybe we will have an understanding by then of which gene variations to use to manipulate the outcome of the fruits flavors, shapes, colors, etc.

You could then cross peppers based upon which genes (attributes) you are targeting, or splice the DNA and replicate it with DIY CRISPRs to get exactly what you want.

C. Annuum and C. Chinense actually already have had their genome sequences completed in 2014. Fun fact: the capsicum genome is 3.48 Gb, which makes it larger than the human genome (3.3 Gb).

"In 2011, the value of global hot pepper production was $14.4 billion, 40-fold higher than in 1980 (FAO statistics; see URLs). Pepper consumption continues to grow because of this fruit's high nutritional value. The pepper genome sequences described here can serve as an important genomic resource for improving the nutritional and pharmaceutical value derived from hot pepper and for supporting evolutionary and comparative genomic studies of Solanaceae, one of the world's most diversified plant families. Capsicum is the only genus that evolved the biosynthesis of capsaicinoids, which consist of more than 20 related alkaloids that cause pungency in pepper fruit.
The hot pepper genome sequence will provide an opportunity to gain a complete understanding of the capsaicinoid pathway and represents an excellent resource for exploring the evolution of secondary metabolites in plants. This study strongly suggests that pepper pungency originated through the evolution of new genes by unequal duplication of existing genes and owing to changes in gene expression in fruits after speciation. The hot pepper genome provides a strong foundation for further studies using comparative genomics, metabolic engineering and transgenic approaches to unveil the complete pathway of capsaicinoid biosynthesis in Capsicum species.
In combination with the recently published tomato19 and potato20 genomes, the hot pepper genome will elucidate the evolution, diversification and adaptation of more than 3,000 Solanaceae species, which are adapted to a wide range of geoecological habitats ranging from the driest deserts to tropical rainforests. Resequencing of two cultivars and de novo sequencing of C. chinense provides a landscape of genomic diversity among Capsicum species. The hot pepper genome will enable the advancement of new breeding technologies through the exploration of genome-wide associations and genomic selection studies on horticulturally important traits such as fruit size, yield, pungency, tolerance to abiotic stresses, nutritional content and resistance to multiple diseases."

Source:
http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v46/n3/full/ng.2877.html

Bofu said:

Omg can you imagine how f*****d the world would become if CRISPR became DIY??! Lol

I do agree though that chilli growing will become more technical in regards to crossing

Jase4224 said:
Omg can you imagine how f*****d the world would become if CRISPR became DIY??! Lol

I do agree though that chilli growing will become more technical in regards to crossing

It's already starting.  Just google DIY CRISPR.

Hope we quit crossing instable crosses with more instable crosses, stick to isolation and classic varieties and let mother nature do its job: maybe we will deal with new, interesting varieties with different characters from the ones we know atm...
Even though i think it will require much more than 10 yrs.

Back