• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Tonight's hot sauce (pic)

Hey Everybody,

I had toooooo many peppers in my freezer, so I decided to make a red (color) hot sauce with them. The idea was to remove the stems and just blend the whole pepper. As you can imagine, there are plenty of seeds, but I boiled the whole thing for an hour, so they should be relatively soft. At any rate, it's an experiment. I intentionally avoided chinense peppers, even though I love them. I was looking for something quite different, and I think I got it. Here's the pic, then below that is my recipe:

2i2772o.jpg

2 lbs of assorted "red" hot peppers, such as chiltepin, tabasco, thai sun (pepperjoe), firecracker (pepperjoe), charleston, brazilian starfish

1 12oz bottle of malt vinegar

1 8 oz bottle of Realime

2 tsp canning salt

Blend the whole peppers in the vinegar. Transfer to a pot and add the salt and lime juice. Simmer on low for one hour and package as desired.

Thanks for the compliment. This sauce is thick and it hits *really* fast. I should measure the pH to see if I will be able to age it out of the fridge, but there's a lot of acid in the ingredients. We'll see!

Thanks, peoples! I was under the impression that everybody hated seeds in their sauces/salsas, so I was afraid of getting some very seedy comments about it. This stuff is super thick, so I'm not sure if I'll have to dilute it a tad with some more lime juice.

Steve973 said:
Thanks, peoples! I was under the impression that everybody hated seeds in their sauces/salsas, so I was afraid of getting some very seedy comments about it. This stuff is super thick, so I'm not sure if I'll have to dilute it a tad with some more lime juice.
Seeds are fine, as long as they are soft enough.

DevilDuck said:
If you just blend it a bit longer, the seeds get chopped up too.
Depends on the type/power of your blender though.

Back