• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Chinese Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lemongrass Miso mushroom soup with Shrimp. Fried Brown Rice with shrimp. Purple Yam spring rolls.

Soup

1/2 stalk Lemon grass
1 rounded Tbsp Miso
1/3 can coconut milk
2 King Oyster Mushrooms
2 cups Buckwheat Chow Main Noodles Crushed.
5 Thai Chile peppers cut
2 cups Shrimp
4 cups water
Salt to taste

Cook all except Shrimp, add at the end for min when its switched off.

Fried Rice
1 cup brown rice
1/2 stalk Lemon Grass
4 Thai Chilies
2" cut Ginger
3 small Reishi mushrooms for stock taste. (remove afterwards)
2 cups water
Salt

Fried up in Coconut oil, add shrimp for last 3-4 min, topped with fresh Thai cut Chilies. Add Soy seasoning.

Purple Yam Spring Rolls
1 6" purple yam cooked in PC
1tsp allspice Ground
1tsp cinnamon Ground
1tsp Star Anice Ground
3 Tbsp Honey
salt

Mash up with spices and roll in rice paper, Cover in coconut oil and bake till crisp (or deep fry them).

Thoroughly enjoyed it !!!

iUDMoUj.jpg
DPexagC.jpg
jRMPVrg.jpg

u5H6Ukt.jpg

H7hGuCK.jpg

KqxKlIj.jpg
CHLb9jk.jpg

宫保鸡 Gong Bao Chicken

[SIZE=medium]This is my take on a combination of two different Kung Pao chicken recipes. I had some trouble procuring ingredients for this contest, due my primary stores either being closed when I need them opened or mysteriously shuttered for days. Hence my late start. Anyways, I got there in the end. Surprisingly, I was pleased to stumble across a rare treat known as a Sugar Apple at my local oriental grocery. It was nice and ripe, and worked very well in combination with some apple juice for my dish. Sugar apples are relatives of cherimoyas and atemoyas ect.  I served the chicken over jasmine rice with chili peppers, peanuts, and green onions ect. Overall, the taste was good. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient List:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]chicken[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]dried guajillo chilis[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]green onions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]fresh ginger[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]lightly salted peanuts[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]canola oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]fresh garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]ground bean sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]apple juice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]fresh sugar apple pulp[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]corn starch[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]rice vinegar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]soy sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]organic jasmine rice[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make jasmine rice:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.           Add 1 3/4 cup water to a saucepan. add 1 cup jasmine rice. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make chicken marinade:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.  Before you cook the chicken you need to marinate the chicken for 1/2 hour. I did this by using some pre-cubed chicken. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.  Blend some apple juice and a bit of sugar apple pulp in a blender. Sugar apples are very sweet so use in moderation. Add about two tablespoons of this juice to the bowl with the chicken. Add also one tablespoon corn starch, two teaspoons soy sauce, about a teaspoon of rice vinegar, a bit of sugar, a bit of salt, and some canola oil. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3. Stir to combine and then place in refrigerator until needed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]to make kung pao chicken:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.  Wash and prep all fresh ingredients. slice the ginger and garlic appropriately. I tried the slicing method with the ginger, but I think in the future I would revert back to the grating method simply because my tastes prefer the less obvious method for ginger when you bite into it. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2.  To make the peanuts useable for this recipe, there were several steps involved. First, you take the lightly salted peanuts and boil them for 10 minutes. This helps remove the salt, and soften them. Drain the peanuts through a sieve, and then set them aside.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3.  Heat some canola oil in a skillet, and then add the peanuts. Coat them well, and brown them for a while until done.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4.  Drain onto some paper towel, and allow to cool down.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5.  When ready, clean the skillet and then add some more canola oil. Add the chicken cubes, and the brown the chicken cubes until reasonably done. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.  Clean and slice dried guajillo chilis. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]7.  In a small bowl, mix 1 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon rice vinegar, two tablespoons water, one tablespoon ground bean sauce, and one teaspoon corn starch. Mix well.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]8. Heat some oil in a large skillet. Add the dried chilis and set cook for about a minute.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]9.  Add the garlic pieces and ginger slices, and stir fry for about two minutes. Watch that the garlic does not burn.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]10.  Add the browned peanuts back to the skillet. Stir.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]11.  Add the pre-cooked chicken cubes back to the skillet. Add the sauce mixture from the small bowl and stir to coat the chicken well. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]12.  Add about four thin green onions worth of chopped onions to the skillet. Stir well. Let mixture cook for a minute or two.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]13. Serve kung pao chicken immediately over rice.[/SIZE]

The Battle Begins Now:

I've always been interested in the traditional foods of the Sichuan province of china.  A big thanks to the boss for coming up with such a great idea and pushing me to volunteer for this TD.  Up first is a lovely hot and sour soup that is littered with chilies to make it a little more hot than sour.  Second is a delicate deep fat fried spring roll.  Last but not least is a light and airy traditional fried rice that I added a few things to so it would be more intriguing.

Szechuan "Hot" Hot and Sour Soup

4 big dried tree ears
8 dried shitake mushrooms
2 medium pork chops
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon cornstarch
8 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 big squares of bean cake
3 scallions (chopped)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons black pepper
3 D3 pequin/goatsweed peppers

Place the tree ears and the Shitakes in a shallow bowl.  Cover them in boiling water and let them soak for 20 minutes.  While the fungus is soaking bring 6 more cups of water to a boil.  Debone and slice the pork chops into matchstick sized strips.  When the water is boiling add small amount of the pork strips to the water and let simmer for 20 minutes or so.  While the pork is simmering place the remainder of the pork in a bowl and cover with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch.  Mix well.  The fungus will be soft by now.  Remove from the water and slice into matchstick sized pieces just like the pork.  Add the fungus to the simmering broth.  Slice the bean cake into 1/4 inch slivers and dice the chilies...add to the broth.  Simmer broth another 10 minutes and add the vinegar, remaining soy sauce and scallions to the broth.  Then add the remaining meat and simmer for 5 more minutes stirring enough so that the meat shreds don't stick together. While still simmering beat the eggs and combine the last two tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water.  Stir enough so that there are no lumps.  Add the cornstarch mixture to the soup and simmer a couple more minutes until the soup turns clear again.  By now it will start getting thicker.  Remove from the heat and add the beaten eggs.  Stir while adding them s that you get no lumps....just beautiful strings of egg.  Add more pepper or vinegar to make the soup hotter or more sour.  Enjoy. : )

Crispy Spring Rolls

I marinated, steamed, and deep fried a duck yesterday and used the leftover meat for this dish.  I was most excited to make this out of the other two dishes I'm presenting. 

Spring roll wrappers
3 dried tree ears
8 scallions
1 pound leftover fragrant crispy duck (chopped)
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 eggs (beaten)
1/4 head of cabbage
peanut oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground roasted Sichuan peppercorns
1 teaspoon salt
3 D3 pequin/goats weed peppers

Start by dry wok and add the peppercorns toss and stir gently until they take on an earthy spicy aroma then ad to a pepper grinder.  Soak the tree ears in boiling water and set aside.  Cut the cabbage into thin little strips ( it will essentially shred) and finely chop the scallions. Chop the duck into small 1/4 inch pieces and dice the chili peppers.  Add the duck to a bowl and combine with 1/3 of the scallions the sesame oil, cornstarch, and 3 tablespoons of soy sauce.  Mix well and set aside. beat the 2 eggs in a bowl and add to a pan with some oil to cook a small omelet.  When the eggs are cooked take them out of the pan, put them on a cutting board, and chop them into 1/4 inch pieces. Drain the tree ears and cut them into small strips as well.  Heat a 1/4 cup of peanut oil in a wok until it starts to smoke.  Toss in the meat mixture and stir fry for 10 seconds then add the shredded cabbage and scallions....cook for another 15 seconds.  Add the egg shreds and cook for another minute.  Finally add the remaining soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and ground peppercorns....stirring occasionally.  Let the mixture cool a bit before you start stuffing the spring roll wrappers. 

When you are ready to stuff the wrappers beat 1 egg and set aside.  Stuff each wrapper near the bottom then roll the bottom flap over the mixture.  Next roll the side inward toward the center and then wrap turn the roll over once.  Seal the last open with a small smear of the egg before sealing it up.  Repeat until you have no more meat mixture.  Heat a wok over high flame for 15 seconds then add about 2 inches of peanut oil.  Heat the oil for a few minutes until it starts to smoke. Add the spring rolls 2 at a time and fry until crispy and bubbly. 

These things are so light even though they are deep fried and they have fatty duck inside them.  I ate 8 of them with dinner and I could have eaten about ten more.  They're seriously good.

T0mato's Fried Rice

Simplicity was the way that I chose to go with this dish.  There are only few ingredients but it is a light and delicate dish with supreme taste. 

4 cups leftover cooked white rice
1/4 head of cabbage
2 eggs
5 scallions
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of roasted ground Sichuan peppercorns
1 cup of peas
3 tablespoons soy sauce
peanut oil

Shred the cabbage.  Remove all the lumps from the rice beat the eggs in a bowl.  Heat a wok with a little oil in the bottom and scramble the eggs until cooked.  Remove the eggs from the wok and add about 2 tablespoons of peanut oil.  Heat the oil until you start to see whisps of smoke.  Throw in the peas, cabbage, and scallions and stir fry for about 30 seconds stirring constantly so that everything is exposed to the hot oil.  Remove the veggies from the wok and add another splash of oil.  Add the rice and stir fry for about 30 seconds making sure everything is exposed to the hot oil.  Add the veggies back in and cook for another minute while stirring occasionally. Add the ground peppercorns, soy sauce and salt.  Serve. 

Thanks guys.  This was fun

Attachments

• 2016-11-06 001 003.JPG
    2016-11-06 001 003.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 2016-11-06 001 001.JPG
    2016-11-06 001 001.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 2016-11-06 001 004.JPG
    2016-11-06 001 004.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 2016-11-06 001 005.JPG
    2016-11-06 001 005.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 2016-11-06 001 006.JPG
    2016-11-06 001 006.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 2016-11-06 001 007.JPG
    2016-11-06 001 007.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 2016-11-06 002 008.JPG
    2016-11-06 002 008.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3849.JPG
    IMG_3849.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 61
Shrimp Lo-Mein

Ingredients for noddles:
1 pound Lo-Mein noodle
salt
vegetable oil

Ingredients for sauce:
1 3/4 hot water
1 cube chicken bouillon
2 tbs mushroom soy sauce
1 tbs low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbs sesame oil
1/3 cup Lo-mein oyster sauce
2 tbs corn starch

Vegetable Ingredients:
1 large Celery stalk
1 baby Bok choy
1 bunch Scallions
2 tsp Ginger minced
1 tbs Garlic minced
1/4 head Savoy cabbage
2 Champion mushrooms
12 Snow pea pods
1 cup baby Carrots
7 Chile de Arbol

Directions:

Part 1 Noodles
In boiling water cook pasta for 2-3 minutes. (1 tsp salt or more can be added water)
Drain and cool with cold water
Lightly oil noodles
Set aside

Part 2 Sauce
Dissolve Bouillon cube inside 1 3/4 hot water
Mix in the Mushroom soy sauce, low-sodium soy sauce, Sesame oil, Oyster sauce and cornstarch
Set aside

Part 3 Cooking Shrimp
Heat wok to high
Add 1 tbs vegetable oil
Sauté half the ginger, garlic and scallions.
Add Shrimp and cook until pink
Remove from wok and set aside

Part 4 Cooking Vegetables
Heat Wok to high
Add 1 tbs vegetable oil
Sauté the other half of the remaining ginger, garlic and scallions.
Add the veggies starting with the slow cookers first. Cook time should be 1-2 minutes

Part 5 This is where it all comes together
Once veggies are cooked you can mix in the sauce, noodles and shrimp that were set aside earlier
Cook for 1-2 min and it's ready to serve!

The foundation of this recipe can be found here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/shrimp-lo-mein.html#!

Review:
Very good and will make this again. 

Attachments

• 20161106_160831.jpg
    20161106_160831.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20161106_171802.jpg
    20161106_171802.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 20161106_172337.jpg
    20161106_172337.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20161106_180234.jpg
    20161106_180234.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20161106_181153.jpg
    20161106_181153.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20161106_181421.jpg
    20161106_181421.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 58
  • 20161106_183227.jpg
    20161106_183227.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20161106_183755_001.jpg
    20161106_183755_001.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20161106_184025.jpg
    20161106_184025.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 56
Lo Mien/fried sauce noodles, noodle soups and good spring rolls or dumplings are at the top of my list of faves. I have a couple restaurants locally that cater to true authentic dishes. You have to know to ask for that menu if you want them. My favorite Americanized dish is Kung Pao Chicken and few places do it authentic. Same goes for hot braised. In China its called red cooked. Its a style ive yet to master. The deep red color is achieved with the right type of soy sauce such as sweet dark soy, sugar and cooking temps. Most places now just use a food coloring and go overboard with the cornstarch to thicken.

Im not a fan of duck unless its cooked in an Asian style. The Chinese and Thai styles seem to be about the only ones that got it down pat. Peking with a plum sauce would be "ON POINT". Its also insane in pineapple fried rice. :D

Looks very nice guys...great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back