• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Chinese Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm out.
BigB said:
Roast duck and pulled pork hongkong egg noodle soup with a soy sauce pineapple fried rice and a oyster mushroom carrot sous vide duck fried eggroll 

Duck Springrolls:

Ingredients: 
Spice rub: 

1 tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp dried red chillies
2.5 cm cinnamon stick
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
1 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil.
Filling:
Springroll sheets
2 duck breasts
oyster mushrooms, 
carrot
scotch bonnet 
rice cooking wine
sweet chili sauce
Instructions

1. Make spice rub

1. remove duck breast bone, pat dry, add spice rub, sous vide it for 45mins-4 hrs at 135F. 
  2. Chop the carrots very thin like matchsticks and chop the mushrooms and pepper, then stir fry it and add some rice wine at the end when the pan gets dry 
  3. Once you decide to take out the duck, heat up a pan with some bacon fat and fry the skin, then slice.
  4. Add everything together, roll and fry

Salty Sweet Soy Chicken and pineapple  fried rice

4# hen from making the broth for the ramen
Pineapple
cooked rice, dried for 12 hours
diced carrots
half a chopped white onion 
scotch bonnet
smoked pepper powder 
eggs

Sauce for the chicken: 
Soy sauce
worcestershire
ginger
garlic
turbinato sugar
cooking rice wine
apple cider vinegar 

Sauce for the rice stir fry:
oyster sauce,
thin soy sauce
turbinato sugar

instructions:

1. Once the hen is done for the broth of the ramen, remove and cut off all the meat
  2. Make the sauce for the chicken, then add it all into a large ziplock bag and sous vide it for a few hours at 135F
  3. Chop up the vegetables and make the sauce for the rice. Heat up the wok burner then add
  4. Once the wok starts smoking, add some oil from the squirt bottle along the edges of the wok in a circular motion, add the vegetables and pineapple as well as the eggs to fry it all together. Afterwards add the chicken. 
  5. add the rice, then the sauce and cook up. Once it’s to your desired texture, take it out and

Roast duck and pulled pork hong kong style ramen

ingredients for the broth:
dried shiitake mushrooms
5# pork bones
4# stewing hen
1# benton’s bacon
half a onion
scallions
2 rough chopped carrots 
6 quarts water
duck breast
boneless pork shoulder
5 chicken backs
Ukusuchi soy sauce (light thin soy sauce)
mirin
sake
ground pepper

Soup additions:
duck breast
pork shoulder 
egg noodles 

To make the broth:

1. bring water to  a boil then add the shiitake mushrooms and simmer for 30 mins. Remove the mushrooms
  2. add the whole chicken and cook for about an hour simmering, with a lazy bubble
  3. while the chicken is cooking, put the pork bones in the oven at 400 and cook for 1 hour, flipping after the first half hour
  4. remove the chicken after the hour, add the pork bones and the benton’s bacon. After 45 mins, remove the bacon
  5. skim the surface and cook the broth for 7 hours. Make the salty sauce for the soup later
  6. how to make salty sauce: cook chicken backs at 450 for 45 minutes until browned, take the pan out and put it over the stove. Add sake and scrape the fond. Add 1 cup of mirin and ukusuchi soy sauce and simmer for 45 minutes
  7. after the 7 hours, add the onion, carrot and scallions and cook for 45 minutes
  8. strain everything and then add the salty chicken back soy sauce  to flavor and make the broth salty 

To make the pork

1. put salt and sugar over the pork and cook for 6 hours at 250, pull apart with forks

For the duck:

1. Brush it with soy sauce and honey and ginger mixture then cook for 3 hours at 350 then as low as the oven will go for another few hours to render the fat and crisp up the skin 

Compose the soup:
Boil the egg noodles briefly, add broth, noodles, chopped duck and pulled pork to the bowl. Eat and enjoy 

20161105_104543.jpg

20161105_114328.jpg

20161105_132159.jpg

20161105_152021.jpg

20161105_152310.jpg

20161105_134604.jpg

20161105_171956.jpg

20161105_171757.jpg

20161105_153149.jpg

20161105_200059.jpg

sweet and sour pork

Ingredients:

IMG_20161106_143529_zpsicsrsuz4.jpg

Meal:
  • 1 green bell pepper in chunk
  • 1 lbs of pork (I bought cubes for stew because that was on special)
  • 1 red bell pepper in chunk
  • 1 can of pineapple in chunk (or two small can like me) (keep the juice for sauce)
  • 1 medium (or 2 small) onion in chunk
  • 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
  • 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil for stir-frying
  • If you don’t use a deep fryer you need to fry the pork in a wok with 2-3 cups of oil
  • 2 hot peppers of your choice chopped finely ( couldn't add this because my girlfriend doesn't like hot food :mope: and it was already packing a little heat)
Marinade:
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • Black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of sambal oelek
Batter:
  • Flour and corn-starch in same proportion
  • 1/4 cup of each or more if needed
Sauce:
  • 1/3 cup rice vinegar
  • 3 tablespoon ketchup
  • 2 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon  of super hot sauce
  • 3 tablespoon brown sugar
  • Pineapple juice from the cans
  • 2 tablespoon of corn-starch
  • 1 teaspoon of sriracha 

Steps:
 Mix all ingredients for the marinade
 Cut the pork in 1 inch cubes and let them marinate for 30 minutes
IMG_20161106_171135_zpskigsy1mn.jpg

Mix all ingredients for the sauce and put away for the moment

IMG_20161106_173818_zpsuzslutiq.jpg

After 30 minutes, put the pork cubes in the mixed batter and
Deep fry!!!!

IMG_20161106_174827_zps5elxm4fr.jpg

fry until golden/brown
It should look like this

IMG_20161106_175633_zpszmabwjnq.jpg

Time to finish this recipe

Make the rice of your choice, I made white rice

In a wok ( I don't have one so a big pan),
At medium heat
stir fry the garlic and the onion (I would add the hot peppers at this step)
After 2 minutes add the bell peppers chunk

IMG_20161106_180156_zpsp4qhsxtb.jpg

After 2 minutes add the pineapple chunk
After 2 minutes add the sauce

IMG_20161106_180946_zps5sxsxmyd.jpg

When the sauce start to ticken, add the pork

Let it cook for another 1 minute for the whole thing to get hot

IMG_20161106_181108_zpsadi1efyi.jpg

Serve and thank me later :)

IMG_20161106_181502_zpslgq5n4gq.jpg

Duck with Plum Sauce, and Eggplant with Spicy Garlic Sauce

Chinese Style Duck

One 5lb. Duck
6 tablespoons honey
¼ cup vinegar
3 tablespoons of minced ginger
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
20 whole peppercorns
4 bay leaves
Salt for Brining

There is a multi day prep for this duck. I dont call it Peking duck, because the duck I used isnt actually a Peking duck, and I dont follow exactly every method a Peking duck would typically be prepared in traditional Chinese food. That being said, the first step is a brine. Bring 6 cups of water to a boil, then add the bay leaves, the peppercorns, and about 1 and 2/3 cup of salt to the pot. Once the liquid is cooled, put the duck in the liquid in the fridge overnight to brine. 24 hours later, take the duck out of the liquid and give it a good wash with water to remove excess brine. In a sauce pan add the honey, vinegar, minced ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and half a cup of water. Begin simmering that liquid. In a separate large pot bring enough water to cover a duck to boil. Once the sweet liquid is simmering stir well, so that all ingredients are dispersed, then set it aside to cool. Once the water in the big pot is boiling well, add the duck, and blanch it for about 30 seconds per side. Remove the duck from the water to a pan. Using a brush, coat the duck completely in the sweet honey/ginger/hoisin sauce flipping the duck over multiple times to ensure every part of the duck has been covered. Pour any excess liquid on the inside cavity of the duck to completely coat it as well. Once the duck is thoroughly coated, put it in the fridge uncovered overnight to prepare for the next step. In a smoker, fire up some charcoal and apple wood, and get the temp to a steady 250. Crack open a cheap tallboy of beer, and jam it up the cavity of the duck. Place the duck on the smoker so that it is standing upright, and the beer can is holding it like a tripod. Make sure to put a drip pan below the duck, because there will be a ridiculous amount of fat dripping off of that bird, which will make a mess, smother your wood/coals, or sear on the coals creating acrid smoke that will effect the flavor of the meat. Smoke at 250 for 3 hours. Fire up your oven to 425, and transfer the bird still standing on the beer can onto a baking sheet, and put it in the oven to crisp up the skin, checking the internal temp with a good thermometer. I like my duck fully cooked, so I pull it at 165-170. Once its ready, let it rest for half an hour.

Plum Sauce

4 plums
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 minced aji limo
¼ of a minced onion
1 tablespoon minced ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon EVOO
1 Tablespoon pear balsamic vinegar

Add the garlic and onion to a pan with the evoo. Sautee them, then add the ginger and soy sauce to the mix. Once simmering add the vinegar, and depitted plums. Simmer this mixture until the plums begin to soften, then begin mashing the plums with a spoon. Continue simmering and mashing the sauce until the plums are no longer solid, and you have a unified plum sauce. Take the sauce off the burner, and allow to cool.

Eggplant with Spicy Garlic Sauce

4 chinese eggplant
3 aji limo
6 aji dulce
2 bunches of scallions
1 head of garlic
3 tablespoons of minced ginger
2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of pear balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons of EVOO

Cut the eggplant into thick matchsticks. Slice up the white part of the scallions, and the green part, but keep them separated. Mince the garlic and aji limo. Slice the aji dulce into slivers. In a saucepan or wok add the olive oil, and turn the heat up high. Once very hot, add the eggplant. The eggplant will cook in about two minutes on high heat, but make sure to keep flipping it. Add the garlic and onions. Stir them in with the eggplant, then add the soy sauce and the ginger. Stir everything well, then add the hoisin, the vinegar, and the minced aji dulce. Give everything a good stir. Simmer for one minute, then add the aji dulce and the sliced green part of the scallions. Stir everything together well, then take it off of the burner to cool.

Vegetables for the Duck

1 cucumber
4 aji Amarillo
1 bunch of scallions

Cut everything matchstick style to go with the duck. Make sure to remove the seeds from the aji Amarillo and cucumber before slicing them.

Pol.

Plating the dish

Take one rice paper, soak it in hot water then spoon on some of the plum sauce. Add a few pieces of duck and duck skin, then add the veggie matchsticks. I served everything on a central plate, so it would be easy for everyone to grab a rice paper and make their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back