• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting LED lights too bright? Is this possible?

Last year I did a CFL grow in the small grow tent in my garage. It was OK, but the plants I had inside didn't produce many pods, and the tent got very hot inside.

This year I bought 2 LED light panel units (Galaxyhydro) and the plants have shown pretty rapid growth. However, I am wondering if I am dumping too much light into this small space. (The tent area is 4' wide x 2.5' deep, and 7 feet tall.)

The reason I wonder - some branches seem to be bending away from the light, almost pointing horizontally. Also, leaves are showing signs of crinkling. (See the images below.)

grow-tent-lights-01.jpg

grow-tent-lights-02.jpg

grow-tent-lights-03.jpg

IMG_9459.JPG

IMG_9461.JPG

I also have some CFL lights in the grow tent, but I usually don't turn them on unless I am working in there, or taking photos.

grow-tent-lights-04.jpg

grow-tent-lights-05.jpg

- I don't see any evidence of burn, so the light isn't so intense that the leaves are being cooked.
- The temperatures have been stable and within a desirable range.
- The plants are in #5 pots, with Fox Farm Ocean Forrest soil with additional perlite added. I shouldn't be seeing any nutrient issues at this stage.
- My watering schedule has been about once per week, so I don't think it's over watering.

So the question is, can the light just be too intense/bright for these guys? I went looking around on this site trying to find out what the ideal amount of light is for an indoor grow like this, but all I could find was "the more light, the better" statements.

Can anyone shed any, ummm, light, on this situation. [drum hit]

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_9460.JPG
    IMG_9460.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 74
My experience is with oldschool HID, so I'm not very up to date (with LED). But here's my thoughts. Is it bad for them? I highly doubt it. Is it way more than you need? Hell yea. IMO for the size area you describe, I would think two 300w panels would have been plenty. I think what you have there is enough to light a 4'x8' tray.

P.S. My Mexican friend Sergio took a bite out of one of your moruga's or reaper's the other day. Said he couldn't remember, but it was one or the other. He was telling me about you and the peppers, and says I think that's Grover from my forum? He says YEA THAT'S HIM!!  :rofl:  Small world, I mean town.

BTW his pop is where my goatsweed and pubes came from in 2010, that I'm pretty well known on here for.  :cheers:

I love that you have 2 600w in there. That's awesome (and I would guess definitely overkill). I'm thinking about doing the same thing :)

I'd actually also add that with the intense light and rapid growth your plants might be burning through calcium. Might want to hit them with some CalMag. I have no science to back that up btw, just a hunch.

Holy crap. How awesome is this?! I gave him some plants, too, and he says they are still alive. Nice!! Every time I give someone plants, they somehow manage to kill them. Incredible.

Viva Sonoma!

hogleg said:

P.S. My Mexican friend Sergio took a bite out of one of your moruga's or reaper's the other day. Said he couldn't remember, but it was one or the other. He was telling me about you and the peppers, and says I think that's Grover from my forum? He says YEA THAT'S HIM!!  :rofl:  Small world, I mean town.

BTW his pop is where my goatsweed and pubes came from in 2010, that I'm pretty well known on here for.  :cheers:

I had similar crinkling of leaves on superhots last season under 600w Hid's

A quick search at the time I read,fast growing and intense lighting often produces crinkled leaves.

You only need one of those lights for that space....heat and or lack of enough ventilation may be an issue as well with the curling at the leaf edges.

Looks like hogleg might be on to something as well with Calcium 

I gave them a little dose of CalMag last night. I'll be keeping a close eye on them to see if that did the trick!

As for there being too much light - I suspected that. I generally overdo things just a touch. :-)

We planted about 100 Butch-T Scorpion plants out in a farm in Dixon, CA, this summer. They got blasted with direct sun from sunrise to sunset, and they produced a crazy amount of pods. The plants I had in my back yard in Sonoma had half the light, and the yield was dramatically less. My thinking was that I needed to go near nuclear with these babies in the tent to mimic the sun light levels, and hopefully be able to maximize the yield in that little space over the winter months.

We shall see!

plants in sunny environments get 100k + lux everyday. i doubt your led setup is more than that. 
It looks like you have a nutrient/ph issue

It's going to be a calcium deficiency, in this case. As was mentioned, the lights per se, are not your issue, but the growth rate that you are achieving. Feed more, or light less.

Thanks!!

solid7 said:
It's going to be a calcium deficiency, in this case. As was mentioned, the lights per se, are not your issue, but the growth rate that you are achieving. Feed more, or light less.

Back