• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Chinese Throwdown

General Tso's Chicken

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
WOW!

My personal favorite TD of the year. Way to deliver the take-out! :D

This poll will be 48 hrs. for the TD and +2 days for the challenges per TD rules page.

Ends Sun 11/13 3pm ET

VOTE!

Poll: Vote for The Best! (36 member(s) have cast votes)

General Tso's Chicken
Student of Spice (8 votes [22.22%])
Voted D3monic (28 votes [77.78%])

Sweet & Sour (&Spicy) Pork
charlesquik (14 votes [38.89%])
Voted SmokenFire (22 votes [61.11%])

Spicy Mongolian Beef
Ozzy2001 (17 votes [47.22%])
Voted grantmichaels (19 votes [52.78%])

Spicy Shrimp Lo Mein
Voted tctenten (18 votes [50.00%])
Grass Snake (18 votes [50.00%])

One Chinese Soup, One Egg/Spring Roll, One Fried Rice (2 spicy min.)
Voted BigB (28 votes [77.78%])
t0mato (8 votes [22.22%])

Anything Goes Chinese
Voted Thegreenchilemonster - Duck with Plum Sauce and Eggplant with Spicy Garlic Sauce (13 votes [36.11%])
dragonsfire - Lemongrass Miso Mushroom Soup with Shrimp, Fried Brown Rice with Shrimp, Purple Yam Spring Rolls (3 votes [8.33%])
keybrdkid - Gong Bao Chicken (10 votes [27.78%])
Ozzy2001 - Family Favorite Chinese Meal (Pork Fried Rice and Steamed Dumplings) (4 votes [11.11%])
t0mato - Fragrant Crispy Duck (3 votes [8.33%])
Tinnie - Dong Po Rou with Ginger Rice (3 votes [8.33%])

This is so damn hard!!!

I had to place a large part of my choice on ingredients i saw used, I even had to go back and read it all again. I also put a strong preference on certain authentic dishes ive enjoyed. One Americanized dish which i dont like (Sweet and Sour) had an interesting twist which got my vote. One of the things that impressed me was Grant used potato starch and good soy. Another was the GORGEOUS fried thigh meat for General Tso's and the nice dose of ginger used. I will pick thigh meat over breast most of the time for Asian dishes..

I must apologize but in the anything goes it was a total PITA to pick. I absolutely love Hong Shao Rou though. Its simple straight forward REAL Chinese cuisine. I wasn't covered in a cornstach laden Americanized sauce. Everyone of the Anything Goes looked outstanding but red cooked pork belly took me by surprise.

i_voted.gif

D3monic said:
Is there going to be a best Chinese dish in the end like you did on burgers?

That would be a hard vote! But would be fun to watch. I was on the fence on that but thought of it. Hit the Like button and we'll see. :)

There's an entry I wouldn't love to to eat that I want to vote for because of it's pictures ...

There's two entries I'd love to eat that I don't want to vote for in ways related to their pictures ...

grantmichaels said:
There's an entry I wouldn't love to to eat that I want to vote for because of it's pictures ...

There's two entries I'd love to eat that I don't want to vote for in ways related to their pictures ...

Well I know one of the reason I am going to lose is because I have shitty picture.
Not everyone can afford those Nikon at 1000$
I'm stuck with my phone camera and that make shitty picture.

Even my canon takes shitty pictures in kitchen lighting. Like Chris said, it's more about lighting. Daylight is your friend. Though that's not the only factor in voting. 1010s pic was way nicer but I voted other dish because of ingredients and "take out " presentation. I try to weigh all options not just pics.. though they do play a big role.
Not to mention your pic quality is just fine... can blame that if you want I suppose. It's just the majority felt smokens was slightly more appealing. I think it was the giant veggy/bell pepper chunks that turned me off from yours. His use of pablano and mazano is what won me over ultimately and final plating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back