• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper mash at Chinese Buffets

You know the pepper mash that they serve at all the Chinese buffets?  What is that?  What peppers are they?  Is it fermented?  Wife brought home a jar of it made by the same people with the rooster on the label of their hot sauce.  Has same flavor from the buffets.  Loving it but the label doesnt specify what pepper it is.  For all I know, like much of the food at the Chinese buffet it is not even Chinese.  Lets face it, when I go to buffet I slather it on my pizza and fries.

They use red jalapenos for all their stuff afaik.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
The chili garlic paste? 

It kind of looks like what I call bird seed at many pizza places only thick with oil.  Had kind of thought it was the universal Chinese Buffet stuff, maybe it is regional.

The product you're referring to is probably Huy Fong's "Sambal Oelek," which is just fermented red Jalapeño paste. Full list of ingredients: Chili, salt, distilled vinegar, potassium sorbate and sodium bisulfite as preservatives and xanthan gum.Contains: Sulphite (Sodium Bisulfite).  

If you haven't yet, spend a half hour watching this for free:  http://www.janson.com/2014/12/10/watch-sriracha-the-documentary-free-full-online-stream/  I like Huy Fong enough to use it at the  Phở house, but it's not something i keep in the houe.  The documentary, however, blew my mind.  Especially the footage of tractor trailers carting tons of jalapeños to the sriracha factory.  One farmer grows all of the jalapeños used by Huy Fong Foods, and that farmer doesn't sell to anyone else. Amazing. 

Bicycle808 said:
The product you're referring to is probably Huy Fong's "Sambal Oelek,"

He's actually referring to this I believe http://amzn.to/2g0dn3R

Similar, fermented red jalapenos and garlic. More Chinese places use this than sambal.

BITD, i used to find both the chili-garlic and the Sambal Oelek stuff at the Chinese spots.  Nowadays, a lot of spots just serve sriracha.  In any case, the groceries have all 3 products stacked on the shelves, various sizes.  Product of California, haha.  My fave of the 3 is probably the chili-garlic, but I find the sriracha is best for french fries.... 

mmmmmmm  :drooling:  :drooling:  :drooling:

119b239503e9e48ff2fed9360e0f236e.jpg

Back