• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Trinidad scorpion ripening times

Hey all, I've got a pretty decent crop so far for my scorpions but I am wondering how long the ripening time is?

I have a few that are going from green to an orange colour already?

Also how many fruits off of one plant is a decent amount?

Thanks all

Thanks for that info Savina. I feel better now. I've gotten 87 off my second year potted scorpion that gave me 8 last year. So far year I've gotten 56 off my two carolina reapers but they started the year at 4" tall.

Dave, a couple more weeks and they should be fully bright red.

That's great to hear.

I think I have approx 40 off of one plant that I grew from
Seed earlier in the year I have a few others but the scorpion is doing the best.

And yep just like you said it's going red pretty quick!

Anyone got any advice on harvesting seeds or the best way to do it so I have plenty of stock for next year?

Also what's the best way to store them? Dried and in a jar or in the freezer?

Thanks

As far as I know, the best thing with seed is to wait until the pod is fully ripe.  Then remove the seeds and dry them out thoroughly.  Some people recommend putting them in a jar with dry (heated and cooled) rice, but not actually touching the rice so it doesn't pick up any nasties from it.  Other people think just air drying is OK.  If you have a dry climate (Negev desert?) then air drying will work better for you than for me in cold and wet northern England.  When they are fully dried out, put them into a sealed packet or jar and store them somewhere cool and dry.  Keeping them in the fridge is OK but not freezer.

Did you isolate your plants or specific flowers when they were setting?  If not, then they will probably have cross-pollinated and not come true from seed.  You could end up with something even better or it could be poor.  Pot luck.

I dried a bunch of seeds from early pods. I picked the individual seeds out of the sliced pods with tweezers and put them in coffee filters on top of the refrigerator for a few months. Then I wrapped the different varieties in paper and put them in a glass jar in a dark, cool place.

I reckon it works. I did a test germination of 6 Yellow Naga Brain Strain by putting them in a wet paper towel inside a plastic sheet last Tuesday night. Most started sprouting within 24 hours. 5 of 6 sprouted. I planted 3 into peat pellets and 2 into tiny pots of dirt. Right now (Monday night) I have 4 standing babies.

I'm dehydrating what I don't eat and storing them in glass jars in the same dark, cool place. I have a few ounces ground up for my pepper shaker but will not grind more until needed..

Back