• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bonnet Question

I have seeds for Tinidad SB Red form hottoddy & I noticed that puckerbutt has a Trinidad SB in the Christopher Philips collection that looks totally different form hottoddy pods.
Is there two different strains of trinidad scotch bonnets?

I wouldn't doubt if there are several strains of the bonnet. 
The pods on Puckerbutt look legit to me. 
Do you have a pic of what your SB are supposed to look like?

I get a plethera of shapes even from same seed stock. One will have the perfect bonnet shape and other will be elongated

Always save seeds from the best shaped plants, if I was choosing who to order from i'd go with puckerbutts...

I got some MOA red, yellow and papa dreadie seeds if you want any

I knew there was a lot of different strains of sb & sb hybrids out there of the Jamaican scotch bonnets.
Its is becoming apparent that it is the same for trinidian scotch bonnets as well & as you mentioned the term scotch bonnet has been stuck on many variations of peppers & this just adds to the confusion out there.
I guess it comes down to smell & flavor for identification as shape has been bred out in a lot of bonnets that is why the Moa SB program was started to my understanding.

D3monic said:
I get a plethera of shapes even from same seed stock. One will have the perfect bonnet shape and other will be elongated

Always save seeds from the best shaped plants, if I was choosing who to order from i'd go with puckerbutts...

I got some MOA red, yellow and papa dreadie seeds if you want any
Thanks Micheal I may or my not have some papa dreadie plants at moms there ether that or a SB X trindad hybrid form trident.
I will know next year so I certainly could use some papa dreadie seeds
Interesting thing is my strain of mutant SB that came originally form lake valley now look closer puckerbutt Trinidad SB.

Thanks Paul for posting my 2015 glog ... As you can see I grew many different varieties from Trinidad. My Trinidad Red grew like Christopher's in shape and size ... however if you want to grow a variety although a hybrid I recommend the Nebru7 which is a Trinidad Yellow Scotch Bonnet x 7pot Jonah. Originally created by Neil and his friend Brian (Hippyseedcompany) in Australia. Last season I sent some seed to Justin you will seed the pods in the latter pages of his glog

Hopefully the seed I sent you turns out to be the Trinidad SB x 7pot at your mum's ... another great bonnet hybrid ...

I am the same as Michael in getting good bonnet shape and elongated pods on the same plant ... as evidenced on the P. Dreadie

Trident chilli said:
Thanks Paul for posting my 2015 glog ... As you can see I grew many different varieties from Trinidad. My Trinidad Red grew like Christopher's in shape and size ... however if you want to grow a variety although a hybrid I recommend the Nebru7 which is a Trinidad Yellow Scotch Bonnet x 7pot Jonah. Originally created by Neil and his friend Brian (Hippyseedcompany) in Australia. Last season I sent some seed to Justin you will seed the pods in the latter pages of his glog

Hopefully the seed I sent you turns out to be the Trinidad SB x 7pot at your mum's ... another great bonnet hybrid ...

I am the same as Michael in getting good bonnet shape and elongated pods on the same plant ... as evidenced on the P. Dreadie
I wish I could send off an do a dna test on the strain that mutated into something like the Trinidad SB in puckerbutt
My theory is it has both Jamaican & Trinidad bonnet dna  some grower must of had some & of lake valley orgional stock & it crossed with them.
Just hope the seed of those few pods are viable for next season
John if they germinate I will send some for 2018 as your the bonnet master.

Back