New batch Hefeweizen

1 pound Belgian special b
1 pound Briess  Caramel 90l
3 pounds wheat malt dme
3.15 pounds wheat lme
1 pound d-45
2 oz Madagascar bourbon pure vanilla bean paste
1 oz tettnang hops
1 small cinnamon stick (end of boil 15 minutes)
Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast

Thinking about adding a can of Oregon fruit dark sweet cherries along with an addition of 3 more pounds of amber lme in the middle of primary ferment. The inspiration for this is that I have a few bakeries around this neighborhood, all baking sweets at the same time and the smell is incredible. Not quite sure how far we can take the yeast. Gonna do a simi open ferment (airlock on a loose loose lid)  Might even get crazy and pitch a different yeast at the addition of the new malts. Anyone have experience at this?

Although I don't have as much experience brewing hefes as maybe a few other folks on here, I'm wondering a couple of things on your method. Why add the extra lme halfway through the ferment, and how would you disperse it, without potentially introducing some nasties and oxygen? Also, why do a semi open ferment? I do semi open ferments in primary when making wine and fruit wines, but never beer. I think the cherries could be a good idea in secondary. The special B and caramel 90 L will darken up your wort a little bit, so if you're looking for that traditional hefe color, you may want to go with lighter crystal malts. Assuming you add the 3 extra pounds of LME into your wort before putching the yeast, instead of at the middle, as you had suggested, and got a decent mash and sparge from your crystal malts your OG will be over 1.085, pushing 1.1090. That is a huuuuge hefe!

Good luck with your brew day!

After some consideration, I think I am going to go with what I have so far without adding anything new. I have to look up the article, but it was saying for more banana flavor simi open ferment worked well. I pitched the yeast last night at 10:15 and they are really enjoying the wort so far. Thanks for the input Green, you are correct on many levels. Cheers!

that is going to be a full on caramel malt bomb with the color of a dark brown ale

in a 1bbl, 31 gallon batch that we do on our pilot system, I use 1lb of special B in a 65 pound recipe to add serious raisin character, and you did it in 5 gallons

its more similar to a weizenbock than a hefe

How long has it been fermenting? Have you been cheking the gravity? The krausen usually will settle on it's own. You don't want to bottle actively fermenting beer, because it could easily cause bottle bombs.

I pitched the yeast on 12 November 10:15 PM, so about 3 days so far. I see very few bubbles in the wort. Probably gonna wait another day to confirm the end of ferment. I didn't take any reading because I don't have a hydrometer yet. That will be on my next round of ordering from the brew supply place. 

I wouldn't recommend bottling it tomorrow. With no gravity reading, an active Krausen, and only 3 days sincr the yeast was pitched, you could potentially ruin your beer by having it explode with glass all over your house from bottle bombs. With no gravity reading, I would recommend to let it sit in primary for at least 10 days to two weeks.

Back