• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Lemon Drop Sauce #2 or was it #3

Well anyway

215 grams chopped frozen lemon drop peppers
1 yellow bell pepper finely chopped
1/2 medium white onion finely chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tbs crystallized ginger
2 6" pieces of lemon grass cut in 2 inch pieces
420 grams total minus the lemon grass which will be removed before blending
2 1/2 cups 50/50 vinegar/water. Mostly white distilled but 1/2 cup was double strength rice vinegar (%8)

Brought to a boil for 15min and heavy simmered for an hour covered. Im really trying to get the most out of the lemon grass. Decided to use mostly white distilled to keep down on the sweetness. The "candied" ginger is pretty sweet and so is the yellow bell.

Salt to taste after it completely cools and blended but likely about a 1/2 tsp.

Initial thoughts of the hot brine taste:
Ginger is very noticeable in a good way
Really good lemon aroma. You would swear it has lemon juice added
Tastes pretty damn good without salt
This would make an awesome jelly.
Good burn for those that like to use a lot of hot sauce on food.

Got it all blended. Added 1/2 heaping tsp of salt and almost a 1/2 tsp of ascorbic acid. Color looks better than the last batch but it still needs to let all the air that was whipped into it "burp" out. Ended up with almost exactly a quart. Cant wait to try this on hot wings.

More tailings for pepper powder and man does it make a great powder.

Well im out of excuses and im really digging the use of lemon grass vs lemon juice for hot sauce.

P1020364_zpsqvyjs6o8.jpg

P1020365_zpsfvtmkest.jpg

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this is DELICIOUS sauce!!! The yellow bell worked perfectly with the lemon drops.

I must post these too for the guys that throw away the tailings. You are missing out on some very tasty powder.

Air dried over night on parchment paper then into the oven at 170F for just a few minutes. Kill the heat and let them finish in the oven as it cools.
P1020376_zpsuxifyy0z.jpg

P1020374_zpsxj7fsjd3.jpg

Masher said:
The tailings? Is this the guts left over in the food mill, dried and then ground to a powder?

I run my cooked sauce through a Nutribullet or blender. Then i pour that through a SS strainer. The stuff that stays in the strainer i dry and grind into powder. Its nowhere near as hot as regular pepper powder.

I had a couple dozen lemon drops i saved before the frost hit. I let them ripen inside along with about the same amount of tiny orange habs. I dried the Ajis and habs then removed about 80-90% of the seeds. Mixed all of that with 2 tbs of the tailings powder 1tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp granulated garlic and a dash of ginger powder.

Wow!!!
Nice amount of heat but not so much the other flavors get covered up. Takes a couple seconds to even notice any heat then its hits with a burst of heat. I can easily see this blend working well with a yellow curry for seafood or chicken.

Back