• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked Meat

Anyone else grilling/smoking today? I didn't see a recent dedicated BBQ/Smoking topic in here, so I figured I'd start one up. My wife's company gives her a free turkey every year, so naturally I had to smoke it. I brined it for 24 hours, as usual, but didn't do any injections like I did on last year's turkey.

The brine:

3 cups of salt
2 cups of brown sugar
3 tablespoons of liquified aji panca
3 tablespoons of liquified aji amarillo
4 bay leaves
1 whole head of garlic
20 whole peppercorns
3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
Water

I use enough water to cover the turkey completely, probably 2.5-3 gallons. Simmer all of the ingredients, until the brine is about to boil, stir throughout the process, so all of the salt and sugar has dissipated into the brine. Allow the brine to cool. Put a thawed turkey in an oven bag in an empty bittom drawer of the fridge, then pour the brine in, covering the turkey completely. Allow it to brine for 24 hours. Once brined, remove the turkey, give the bird a good rinse in the faucet to get off the excess brine. Brush on some olive oil, and smoke at 225 til it hits your desired temp.

grantmichaels said:
Beautiful bird ...

Love the feels of company's giving family's a bird too ... good shit.

Thanks! Internal temp is at 145 right now, it's only a matter of time, til it's ready. I'm making mashed potatoes, stuffing, and giblet gravy as well. Plus some of that canned cranberry jelly my wife loves so much. I honestly can't stand that stuff, but happy wife, happy life!

It's definitely nice to get a free turkey every year for sure. My wife will be a bit bummed out that I didn't do the Franks red hot and butter injections, like the past couple of years, but you have to change it up every once in a while.

spatchcock_meme.png

Back