• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Orange Habanero pod test

This plant showed up from last year's grow. I guess a pod fell on the ground and one of the seeds from it sprouted. It came up next to my container plants. The pod I reviewed wasn't the one I picked in the first part of the video. That one had some insect damage, so I picked another one a few days later. It caught me off guard, gave me hiccups right away. The burn was very stingy all over my mouth. The flavor on it was excellent, the best Orange Hab I've had. It was very fruity.

https://youtu.be/wblo_m6U0xs

Appreciate a review of a pod everyone knows very well. Maybe the one difference is a lot of people haven't grown their own orange hab. So when you talk about being more flavorful than a grocery store orange hab, what does that really mean? It's an honest question since I've never grown or eaten an orange hab not from grocery but have heard a lot of people give the same description. I can make my own assumption on what you're talking about but want to hear you say it in more detail!

Like a boss is right!! Let's not forget you don't need a super to get the hiccups going lol

I thoroughly enjoyed the review...Thanks a bunch Peter!

Genetikx said:
Appreciate a review of a pod everyone knows very well. Maybe the one difference is a lot of people haven't grown their own orange hab. So when you talk about being more flavorful than a grocery store orange hab, what does that really mean? It's an honest question since I've never grown or eaten an orange hab not from grocery but have heard a lot of people give the same description. I can make my own assumption on what you're talking about but want to hear you say it in more detail!

Like a boss is right!! Let's not forget you don't need a super to get the hiccups going lol

I have been a grocery store hab eater for yrs....this yr i grew lemon habs and orange habs.

The flavor profile and heat levels of my own far exceeded anything i ever tasted from the market variety.

The market variety gives me a mellow burn associated with back of tongue and easily tolerable heat....flavor was pepperish as I would describe as the taste of the color orange.

My own however...the heat range was like peters...fire all over, and a STING heat almost painful to my entire mouth and really attacked the entire surface of my tongue....the flavor profile was very aromatic and heavy floral over tone, Nothing like I expected or ever experienced from grocery habs.

I didn't understand until eating my own this yr....huge diffrence.

Masher said:
The market variety gives me a mellow burn associated with back of tongue and easily tolerable heat....flavor was pepperish as I would describe as the taste of the color orange.

My own however...the heat range was like peters...fire all over, and a STING heat almost painful to my entire mouth and really attacked the entire surface of my tongue....the flavor profile was very aromatic and heavy floral over tone, Nothing like I expected or ever experienced from grocery habs.

I didn't understand until eating my own this yr....huge diffrence.
That's curious. The Orange Habs I grew this year were definitely more flavourful than supermarket Habs but actually far less floral. In my opinion it made them some of the best Habaneros I've ever eaten. The seriously floral ones, in my experience, were the Big Sun and Chocolate types, with the latter being the only Hab to ever give me that sting you mention.

I'm not doubting you though, just seems interesting how wildly different our experiences have been.

Genetikx said:

Thanks! The grocery store habs to me taste floral and a little bitter, not at all fruity like the one I grew. The one I grew had a habby/chinense smell, but really didn't taste floral at all.
karoo said:
Thank you Peter,
great review, you remain the Gold standard reviewer.
Thanks karoo!
moruga welder said:
as usual , GREAT REVIEW PETER !   
Thanks MW!
Masher said:
Like a boss man! Like the oldschool clock striking 8 bells as well.
Thanks! Yeah, that's an old clock my dad built. I put some new batteries in the movement recently, have enjoyed hearing it again.

My orange habs were plants from BloomIQ and they were way hotter than the ones from the grocery store. My best guess is 50% hotter. I cant even begin to eat a whole one fresh. Entire mouth burn just like yours. Very strong Chinese smell and flavor also.

I did love the yield and very easy to grow. I just picked the last of them yesterday before the hard freeze.

Back