Kitchen Shears. ???

Hey peoples of my tribe, I'm looking formsome good quality Kitchen Shears. You may or may not have deduced that from the thread title. lol

I have broken enough of them that now I want some quality ones. Not OXO or Faberware, been there done that. I break them. I use them a lot from Chicken to parchment paper and I think the OXO brand lasted the longest.

Anyone ever used or owned Shun Kitchen knives or Shears?
I am looking at this set of two for $79.95.
3" Herb shears (with a notch for stripping herbs like Rosemary)
4-½" Poultry Shears (with a screwdriver on the handle end, thank god because I have never owned a screwdriver before). haha

IMG_0672.JPG

Any experience with other brands, cutting whole chickens, specifically? I am not overly concerned with price, I have probably spent more money on all the cheap shit I've thrown away than I will spend on new good ones.

Thanks in advance!

Get a good cleaver and butcher block for chicken etc. shears are not really made to handle sectioning, even the wing tip, even the good ones, what happens is stress on the joint and eventually they all break.

But my Henckels are good I just don't abuse.

I don't like to use a cleaver for sectioning, cutting out the backbone for butterflying etc. A cleaver is great for sectioning 50 wing pieces or thigh/leg separating but that's about it for poultry. Cleavers are awesome tho.

Here's the website: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/shun-classic-2-piece-shear-set/
"Shun cutlery reflects a centuries-old tradition of Japanese knife making. The company's precision craftsmanship extends to these shears, which are made with the same attention to detail found in Shun knives. High-carbon stainless steel gives the shears' blades superior strength and the ability to hold an extra-sharp cutting edge, the hallmark of Japanese cutlery. The two shears in this set can handle numerous tasks, from snipping delicate herbs to breaking down poultry and even opening jars.
-Set includes 3" herb shears and 4 1/2" kitchen shears with micro-serrated bottom blade.
-Japanese Mo.V high-carbon, stainless-steel blades sharpen easily and resist corrosion.
-Interlocking blade screw allows tension to be set according to preference or task.
-Ambidextrous handles are designed for right or left-handed use and padded with a plastic polymer for a comfortable grip.
-Notched blade design allows kitchen shears to cut through thin bones; on the herb shears, the notch strips and cut stems.
-Kitchen shear's micro serrations grip as you cut, while the offset handle provides optimal balance and leverage. A screwdriver/pry tool is built into the handle.
-Blades separate for easy cleaning."
Handcrafted in Japan.

Where do yours break? I've had my OXOs for a couple years and they are good so far.

I can't tell from the description of those but I would want to ensure that they were the scissors equivalent of a full tang handle in a knife (as in the blade and handle are one piece of metal, with a dipped coating or wrap over the handle part). Not something where a plastic handle is attached to the blade. Hope that makes sense.

The pin rusts out because it's just steel. No matter how well you clean them. The OXO's were my favorite so far. I've had two pairs of them. These Shuns most definitely are "full tang". You can tell in the picture on the left, the steel goes all the way to the screwdriver. For the money tho...

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikish.html
These are the ones I have. I don't use them too often at work, but when I have, they haven't let me down yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-51-0220-Unlimited-Scissor/dp/B0000CFLH7
These Joyce Chen scissors are always recommended. Though, I don't know if they'd be good for chicken...I've broken down a few hundred lobsters with them, and they are definitely ideal for that.

I really just use knives at work...it's pretty rare that I go for the scissors. But it really depends on the menu/or what you typically cook.

The Shun's are a great choice.  We have a block set and they are the best kitchen knives I have ever used.  Unfortunately my wife accidently threw out the sheers when she was cleaning up the kitchen one night but before that they were awesome.  I'm sure some day I will replace it with another pair of Shun sheers.  They are well worth the money IMHO.

I like our Shun knife okay, but I can't speak for the shears. The knife has a very thin edge that chips easily. Prefer the Wustof.

Jubnat said:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikish.html
These are the ones I have. I don't use them too often at work, but when I have, they haven't let me down yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-51-0220-Unlimited-Scissor/dp/B0000CFLH7
These Joyce Chen scissors are always recommended. Though, I don't know if they'd be good for chicken...I've broken down a few hundred lobsters with them, and they are definitely ideal for that.

I really just use knives at work...it's pretty rare that I go for the scissors. But it really depends on the menu/or what you typically cook.
I would buy the one Jubnat recommends above after reading some reviews on lobster, chickens and turkeys. And for $29 that is a great price. I think I will order a pair of those lol. 

SavinaRed said:
I would buy the one Jubnat recommends above after reading some reviews on lobster, chickens and turkeys. And for $29 that is a great price. I think I will order a pair of those lol. 
4 reviews in 4 years does not make me excited about a product :) 

Back