• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting New pineapple/mango ferments

Been a while since I've made anything, but finally had a chance to make up a few ferments with some of my harvest.

On the left is my first crack at a totally 'yellow' sauce. Aji lemon, yellow bell, yellow/white carrots, sweet onion, garlic, ginger, pineapple and mango.

On the right is red serranos, red bell, carrots, sweet onion, garlic, ginger, pineapple and mango.

They've been fermenting about a month so far and I'll probably process them here in a few weeks, looking forward to them!

Good luck!  I've personally found that fermented mango has a REALLY off putting smell to it.  But then again, what is one person's smelly socks is another person's blue cheese :)

hoibot said:

They've been fermenting about a month so far and I'll probably process them here in a few weeks, looking forward to them!

So... it's been a lot more than a 'few weeks' since I originally planned to process these ferments. BUT, life has a way of getting in the way, enough said! I let the airlocks get close to dry and ended up with a bit of kahm yeast in the serrano ferment, but refilled the airlock and stirred it around a few months back, and it has been fine since. The yellow ferment went great, but the color became oxidized after a while, but didn't seem to influence anything other than the final color - I suppose it's bound to happen after 8 months.

These are finally processed, and I followed a normal 20 min boil (covered), blend, 20 min boil (covered), blend, and a final simmer at 190F for 15 minutes, followed by bottling.

In any case, I ended up with 11 bottles of each, and just in time as my hot sauce from 2015/2016 is finally gonzo!

Here's a comparison picture for the yellow ferment after 8 months of waiting patiently:

The two final sauces:

Back