• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Need your opinion on this little seed start setup

For seed starting, it is definitely worth a try. If you fail at germ, you fail to grow period.
Super hots are particularly temperamental to proper seed temps to germinate properly or at all.

As an all in one setup it's ok. Only disadvantage is if it's only a 1 bulb light as it looks from the pictures that won't be enough for all the seedlings. I use a 4 bulb t5ho setup for my seed starting as the width allows almost perfect coverage for the trays I use.

Like others said, it's minimal and will work if your just getting started, but you risk the possibility of leggy stems and weak plants due to insufficient lighting depending on how many pots you place under it.

I have seen a few growing here of THP using them.....look at some of the hydro glogs for pics....I think Peter s has one in the background of a few pics?

Once my seeds germ, they go under a 2' - 2 bulb T5HO unit....within a few weeks, they go under a 4' - 4 bulb T5HO unit.

I am putting up 36-48 4" pots though. If your just doing 6-12, it just may work for you.

Really depends on how you want to use it....as a seedling survival unit, or as a mini unit to raise them into something to be put outside, or just a desk top model for 1 or 2 plants to harvest pods off of all yr.

I would be using this to get a jump start on next years grow. I want to start next month and will keep them in until late may here in zine 7a

Pepperhead1989 said:
That tray has 55 cells in it....if you got all 55 to sprout, in a month to 6 weeks, you would be in a pickle trying to fit 55 3" or 4" pots under it. with each plant with leaves now 3" wide or wider. You could probably get by with 20 under it keeping the light relatively close as needed.

I would look a minimum of a 4' 2 bulb on yo yo hangers, 4' - 4 bulb even better....get a couple trays with domes (they hold 15 3" pots each) 

That would let you place 30-45 starts under it and get them well established. plus it gives you two months to add more lighting or place a few compact CFL's around it as needed.

If your looking to just get a dozen plants ready for outdoor, you may be just fine with those set ups.

My set up is a 2' x 6' bedroom closet.....8' ceiling.

2' down is a shelf with the 2' 2 bulb mounted above.

Under that is the 4' 4 bulb mounted to the bottom of the shelf...I adjust the light on yoyo's.  I don't use a heat mat, the two light units keep it 70-75 degrees in that space no problem...you only need the dome for humidity to get them to sprout...after that i use a spray mister as needed or place clear plastic glasses over the top of individual plants still needing a little humidity. 

0117161725-00_zpswtskmiry.jpg

0131161618-00_zpsxwnymkma.jpg

Turkey tray with lid, seed heat mat, a couple lamps with "daylight" bulbs.

You go high tech if ya want, but its not needed.

This 2017 will be my 4th year.

20160716_194231_resized_zpswb5bcnk3.jpg

THAT IS ALL

This year, I decided to take a stab at indoor growing peppers.

I got a Milliard 30" x 18" x 36" tent 
Txxo2NH.jpg

Which is lit up by a 125w CFL Bulb. The model is the Hydrofarm FLCDG125D Fluorowing
q8toVv0.jpg

I managed to successfully germinate 6/7 peppers using a really basic method of ziplock bags / red solo cups / Rapid Rooter peat moss plugs. No Heating mat required. The ziplock bag acts as a greenhouse and keeps the moisture in so you do not have to water it for a couple of days. I based off this method watching Khang Starr's seed starting videos. Instead of using soil, I used a netcup, added some Hydroton clay balls into a solo cup to help raise the net cup so it can be closer to the light and then placed the Rapid Rooter plug into the net cup with hydroton in there as well. 

https://youtu.be/86lqMQ3s1gc?t=4m15s

Here is what the setup looks like:
3PsP8dn.jpg

Here it is as of this moment:

fYDzJkD.jpg

Back