• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

BeerInHand 2017 Grow Log

Planning on growing out 650 seedlings on an ebb and flow/flood table in my basement under lights. Last winter I grew about 75 seedlings in a tyvek tent I threw together powered by an old metal halide.

Pricing out a commercial flood table was pretty depressing. The cheapest I could find was $160 and pallet-based shipping waaaay more than doubled the price. After many hours of deep thought, I came up with following design, which is much sturdier and heated as well!

My design uses a single 4x8 sheet of PVC cut into three 8' strips 5" wide, and the remaining sheet 8'x33" wide. to create a ~ 95" x 32" flood table with 5" sides. First a frame is built using 2x8 and 2x3s.

wZomQRnl.jpg

1x8s are screwed on to create the sides, and the 5" PVC strips, glued to the 1x8s. With 3 sides on, the table surface is dropped into place, all sealed up with silicon in the seams.

0DfzgoCl.jpg

The final side is attached, and some screws put into the PVC to firm it all up. 

h8iBXLpl.jpg

On the underside of the table, I hung a 48' string of incandescent lights and then screwed a sheet of 1/2 foam insulation on to box the heat in.

3LdbW9Jl.jpg

Two 4' 6-bulb T5 lights make this puppy shine.

IjTTNQol.jpg

I decided to hang it from hooks using chains instead of using legs. My basement is pretty unlevel, and a couple of twists of an eye hook is a much easier way to micro-level the level of the table than trying to shim up 4 different legs.Since this is meant to be a flood table, I want it to slope just slightly to one corner so it can drain. For those unfamiliar with the concept, a flood table fills with water from a reservoir on a timer and then slowly drains back into the reservoir after the plants take up water.

Here's a short video showing the table filling with water - http://i.imgur.com/ra9CisQ.gifv

The table will hold 13 1020 trays (depending on the exact dimensions of the tray which can vary between 21x11 and an actual 20x10). I put 600 seedlings into pots last night, representing 65 varieties. I left one tray empty for now waiting on late arriving seeds.

eBtGmpIl.jpg

I threw a second sheet of 1/2 foam insulation over the top of the table to trap in the heat and get those seeds popping. The lights under the table are doing a wonderful job, keeping the table at a steamy 96F. I'll leave them covered until the first ones peek out and then give 'em the lights.

yjmfur3l.jpg

Flood Table Parts list:

2x3x8 -- qty 3 -- cost $2.07 -- extended: $6.21 link
2x8x8 -- qty 1 -- cost $10.45 -- extended: $10.45 link
1x8x8 -- qty 2 -- cost $8.65 -- extended: $17.30 link
PVC Sheet 4x8 3/8" -- qty 1 -- cost $78.00 -- extended: $78.00 link
Silcon Sealant -- qty 1 -- cost $6.24 -- extended: $6.24 link
Liquid Nails -- qty 1 -- cost $3.57 -- extended: $3.57 link
Submersible Pump -- qty 1 -- cost $10.95 -- extended: $10.95 link
Heating/Light Rope -- qty 1 -- cost $24.97 -- extended: $24.97 link
Foam Insulation w/foil back -- qty 2 -- cost $12.95 -- extended: $25.90 link
Ebb & Flow Fitting Kit -- qty 1 -- cost $9.95 -- extended: $9.95 link

Sub Total $193.54

Have Home Depot cut your 4x8 PVC sheet on the panel saw at the store for the straightest cuts. Have them cut off three 5" x 8' strips from the PVC sheet to be used for the table sides. This will leave you with a ~33" x 8' section that will be used as the table surface. You may also want to be sure the sheet is exactly 8' long - mine was a bit longer and I had to trim it myself. Also check for damaged sheets - they had a different brand, smooth on both sides that was normally $99 that they gave me for $30, so my final cost on the entire build was actually under $150.

I also needed lights for the table - here's what I got.

4' 6 bulb fixture -- qty 2 -- cost $95.00 -- extended $190.00 link
Timer -- qty 1 -- cost $13.95 -- extended $13.95 link
2x3x8 -- qty 1 -- cost $2.07 -- extended $2.07 link
Hanging straps -- qty 1 -- cost $9.76 -- extended $9.76 link

Sub Total $215.78

I also needed seeds! I ended up spending $156 on seeds from about 6 reputable vendors, include
Refining Fire - http://www.superhotchiles.com/
Butch T - https://butch-t-seeds.myshopify.com/
AJ - http://peppersbymail.com/ 
http://pepperlover.com/
https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/

as well as some trades arranged on this forum

Varieties:
  • 7 Pot Lava, Chocolate
  • 7 Pot, White
  • 7JPN (7 Pot Jonah X Pimenta De Neyde)
  • Aji Lemon
  • Aji Mango
  • Aji Pineapple
  • Apocalypse Scorpion
  • BBG7, Chocolate
  • BBG7, Lava
  • BBG7, Red
  • BBG7, Yellow
  • Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate
  • Bhut Jolokia, Peach
  • Bhut Jolokia, Red
  • Bhut Jolokia, White
  • Bhut Jolokia, Yellow
  • Bhutlah, Black
  • Bhutlah, Brown
  • Bhutlah, Mustard
  • Big Black Mama
  • Big Mama, Mustard
  • Black Naga
  • Borg 9, Bleeding
  • Brain Strain - Red
  • Brain Strain - Yellow
  • Brain Strain, Chocolate
  • BTR Scorpion
  • Bubblegum, White
  • Carolina Reaper, Chocolate
  • Carolina Reaper, Peach
  • Carolina Reaper, Red
  • Chocolate Primo/Reaper
  • Daisy Cutter
  • Devil's Brain
  • Devil's Tongue, Red
  • Fatalii Jigsaw
  • Fatalii, White
  • Fatalii
  • Genghis Khan's Brain
  • Griefer 2016 F1
  • Habanero, Giant White
  • Habanero, Lemon
  • Habanero, Orange
  • I Scream Scorpion
  • Jay's Ghost Scorpion, Peach
  • Jay's Ghost Scorpion, Red
  • King Naga
  • Kraken Scorpion
  • MA WartryX
  • Moruga, Chocolate Brain
  • Moruga, Red Brazilian
  • Moruga, Red
  • Naga Viper, Aryona's Chocolate
  • Nagabrains Chocolate - strain 1
  • Pink Tiger
  • Piri Piri (Uganda)
  • Red Brazillian Ghost
  • SB7J (Scotch Bonnet x Jonah 7 Pot)
  • Sepia Serpent
  • Sugar Rush, Peach
  • Tabasco
  • Thunder Mountain Longhorn
  • Trinidad Douglah 7 Pot
  • Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
  • Trinidad Scorpion Jonah
  • Yellow 7 Pot Primo
  • Yellow 7 Pot
  • Yellow BBG Stinger 2016 F1
Like so many gravestones....
hU16bukl.jpg

Very ambitious, looking forward to see how this progresses.

Where will the seedlings go when time to transplant?

It's been 4 weeks since sowing. I have about 318 seedlings up, some for over 3 weeks. The table temp sits at about 82-88F. Flooding has worked out pretty good so far. I keep an airstone running in the water reservoir to keep it from getting anaerobic. I'll post a more detailed update in the next few days with some germination rates for each variety. Some varieties popped 100% and others 0%.

xm7xQLF.jpg

23-Dec-2016

452 seedlings out of 650 pots sprouted. Some replanting went on this past weekend, but plenty are still coming up after 5 weeks. My table sits at a nice 80F, so I'm a bit surprised I'm still getting seedlings up from the first planting. When I was resowing the empty pots, I was careful to rake back the soil looking for an emerging seedling. I found quite I few surprisingly. I'd say 7 of 10 of my 7JPNs all came up within 3 days of each other after 5 weeks in the pot.

Some more photos

Full table view:
rl6b3RL.jpg

A 7JPN from whitehotpeppers
8e88UIz.jpg

A Lemon Habanero from Trade Winds Fruits
YEjamX3.jpg

I Scream Scorpion from Butch T / Jay's Peach Scorpion Ghost from Peppersbymail / AJ -- far back Daisy Cutter from both Magged Out and Transient Exuberance / Devils Brain from Peppersbymail / AJ
f2IMLz4.jpg

02-Jan-2017 539 seedlings out of 650. Things are filling in and if I don't get plants into these empty cells soons it may be hard for new sprouts to get light. I've begun pruning some lower leaves on the bigger plants to allow light to filter down. I haven't been feeding the plants yet, other than some worm casting tea. Since I have a bubbler running 24/7 in the water reservoir, I just bagged up some castings in cloth strainer and tossed it into the water bin.

Tray #7 - Daisy Cutter, Devil's Brain, Devil's Tongue, Red Fatalii, Genghis Khan's Brain. Here's a pic taken 20-Dec-2016 and another taken 2 weeks later:
exeW1g4l.jpg

02-Jan-2017: Tray #7 - Daisy Cutter, Devil's Brain, Devil's Tongue, Red Fatalii, Genghis Khan's Brain
CGlSV9hl.jpg

02-Jan-2017: Kraken Scorpion - trimming lower leaves as the plant puts up new nodes. My goal is to keep just 2-3 sets of leaves at the top and prunes all lower leaves as needed. This will allow light down to the lower branches to encourage growth at the nodes, as well as allow airflow. Once the plant get to about 8 inches tall, I will top them.
ZmNuuFD.jpg

04-Jan-2017: Mega-roots!
zTFuMnul.jpg

Quick update - Big news is I got registered to sell seedlings as a nursery in PA and started setting up my web store at gnarlypods.com. Please head over to my facebook page and give me a like at https://www.facebook.com/gnarlypods/ 

gnPySQj.png

I also added a few new strains, one in particular I'm very excited about is MA Red Devil - look at this Gnarly Pod

UMDTdPdm.png
qeihO3Lm.png

My flood table is getting overgrown! I probably was a bit ambitious with 650 pots on a table this size. I'm pruning pretty heavy just to keep air flowing, but I am managing just fine and the plants are healthy. Feeding with vermicompost tea. Those roots in the picture above? Check it 17 days later!!

21-Jan-2017
TbtTDNeh.jpg

I've got as much root as plant at this point, but that is great cause pruning them doesn't seem to affect them whatsoever. Here's a couple more shots of the grow:

23-Jan-2017
jfh1om4h.jpg

23-Jan-2017
QZWoiNMh.jpg

Back