fire pit conversion

So my brick firepit has an inside diameter of 32 inches and 38 outside diameter. I want to get a dome so I can use it for smoking, grilling etc...... So I call Weber and they want $350 plus shipping for there Ranch top but you have to own one to get the part. Even if I did I wasn't going to spend that much on the top. So I started looking as portable firepits and found one half off for $60 shipped that has a bowl diameter of 35 inches. So I'm not assembling the legs and will find another use for them and going to make a handle for the dome to take it on and off safely then some holes on top for ventilation that I can adjust. I'll post some pics after I get it finished. I'm also planning to make some pizza in the pit as well. Wish me luck   :)

Since I'm cheap I was going to try and make an outdoor pizza oven but I'm not exactly what I call a handyman lol. So If this works out then I don't have to worry about trying to make one or buy one. 

Attachments

• pit.jpg
    pit.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 117
Wow, deep. I did mine that deep too, was laughed at by all my landscaper friends. But when they saw that the airflow is PERFECT their tunes changed right along with their recommendations to customers.

My kids still like the schmores thing too much to try and convert mine, but I have an evil plan to do a smoker attachment off to one side. That is, once my kids either grow up and start developing adult palates or move out, whichever happens first...

stettoman said:
Wow, deep. I did mine that deep too, was laughed at by all my landscaper friends. But when they saw that the airflow is PERFECT their tunes changed right along with their recommendations to customers.

My kids still like the schmores thing too much to try and convert mine, but I have an evil plan to do a smoker attachment off to one side. That is, once my kids either grow up and start developing adult palates or move out, whichever happens first...
I'm not really converting it as we will still be using mostly as a firepit and making schmores as well. You could say I'm accessorizing it with a dome to use for cooking and getting a 22-28 inch grate that I can insert and remove after cooking is finished. 

And yes I like the deeper pit as well. Mine is actually a foot deeper but I added allot of rock to the bottom.

SavinaRed said:
I'm not really converting it as we will still be using mostly as a firepit and making schmores as well. You could say I'm accessorizing it with a dome to use for cooking and getting a 22-28 inch grate that I can insert and remove after cooking is finished. 

And yes I like the deeper pit as well. Mine is actually a foot deeper but I added allot of rock to the bottom.
In my experience a lid over a pit is going to cook you a lot of charcoal if you aren't real attentive.

We have an adjustable grill that I can raise and lower, and even with that (and no lid) I have underestimated the ability of split & dry birch, maple and ironwood to ruin a really nice ribeye...Ain't no slow-cookin' with a firepit, not without redirecting the heat...

SavinaRed said:
So my brick firepit has an inside diameter of 32 inches and 38 outside diameter. I want to get a dome so I can use it for smoking, grilling etc...... So I call Weber and they want $350 plus shipping for there Ranch top but you have to own one to get the part. Even if I did I wasn't going to spend that much on the top. So I started looking as portable firepits and found one half off for $60 shipped that has a bowl diameter of 35 inches. So I'm not assembling the legs and will find another use for them and going to make a handle for the dome to take it on and off safely then some holes on top for ventilation that I can adjust. I'll post some pics after I get it finished. I'm also planning to make some pizza in the pit as well. Wish me luck   :)

Since I'm cheap I was going to try and make an outdoor pizza oven but I'm not exactly what I call a handyman lol. So If this works out then I don't have to worry about trying to make one or buy one. 

Very, nice...simple and effective. Hadn't thought of going below ground. 

Looks like I have a new spring project in the backyard next season

stettoman said:
In my experience a lid over a pit is going to cook you a lot of charcoal if you aren't real attentive.

We have an adjustable grill that I can raise and lower, and even with that (and no lid) I have underestimated the ability of split & dry birch, maple and ironwood to ruin a really nice ribeye...Ain't no slow-cookin' with a firepit, not without redirecting the heat...
Well I'm actually most interested in using it for pizza which needs 600*- 1000*.  Also for a big group making burgers it would be nice over an open flame. 

What kind of adjustable grill did you get that you can raise and lower the height or did you make one ? 

Any pics ?

BTW- The main reason I'm trying this is so that I don't have to make or buy an outdoor pizza oven. So I'm crossing my fingers that this will fit the bill perfectly.   :)

My thought is that with all the heat from the wood/coals evenly below the pizza I wouldn't have to rotate it every 30 seconds like they have to in a pizza oven and the taste should be the same and I would get a more even crust not burned on one side from the coals in the back of a traditional pizza oven. I'm guessing the only advantage to the traditional pizza oven is that it would be easier getting your pizza in and out over using a firepit. 

Looks a lot like this;

FirePitGrillandClamps__35631-600x600.png

Came from a regional hardware box store called Menards. A friend has a great unit, much bigger grill, hangs from a pulley from a steel tripod frame. He's really inventive with rebar.

queequeg152 said:
how does air get down in there when there is a lid on it?

my dad had something similar built, but he had to have 3" steel pipes leading to the bottom with grates on either side? his isnt even covered either.

Bingo!

Looks like a nice open pit but there's no intake for a closed pit and you'll choke it off. You need 2 dampers for airflow, intake, exhaust.

The Hot Pepper said:

Bingo!

Looks like a nice open pit but there's no intake for a closed pit and you'll choke it off. You need 2 dampers for airflow, intake, exhaust.

Heh heh, so-o-o-o-o-o not. The bricks aren't assembled airtight. The air gets in just at ground level, and make no mistake; a LOT of air gets in, and from a very nice even flow all the way around. I've been able to start a nice fire without kindling in mine

stettoman said:

Heh heh, so-o-o-o-o-o not. The bricks aren't assembled airtight. The air gets in just at ground level, and make no mistake; a LOT of air gets in, and from a very nice even flow all the way around. I've been able to start a nice fire without kindling in mine

Nah. Back in the days of barbecue's infancy, the pioneering cowboys or cavemen or whatever scrapped their plans for dinner when they couldn't find any expanded steel or pipes of suitable diameter.  ;)

The Hot Pepper said:

Bingo!

Not for a pizza that takes less than 2 minutes to bake   :)

And 5 inches of my pit are above ground level and its not airtight so it gets some airflow :) :) :)

Back