• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growlist 2017 - b3rnd

Hey guys,

Few days ago I made an excel thingy of the varieties I have at the moment. The only ones I'm doubting to plant are Orozco and Purple Serrano. But the list of varieties I'm considering to order might still grow, lol.
Tell me what you think :) I'm so excited for 2017! Can't wait to start a full season here in Portugal. It's going to be hard in the summer but I'm hoping to manage.

ETA: And ofcourse I need to send a special thanks to good sir Hogleg for the envelope full of awesomeness!

f3xhyh.png

Lemon Drop x Brazilian Starfish!  Two of my favorite peppers, what a cool cross - do it!

mrgrowguy said:
Hairy Dong

:party:

cone9 said:
Lemon Drop x Brazilian Starfish!  Two of my favorite peppers, what a cool cross - do it!

Thanks! That is actually one of the crosses I'm most sure of doing. I've always been drawn to both those varieties for some reason. They just look stunning. Never succesfully grew either of them unfortunately. Tried last season, but failed due to the crappy weather in Holland that year. Gave up on the whole grow halfway through the season, so I can't wait to start anew! New climate, new season, new grow, new varieties. Going to give 120% this year  :onfire:

The Purple Serrano I grew this year was a pretty beautiful plant to look at. If you got the room, it could surprise you too.

So I couldn't resist to buy more seeds. This is what I ordered from Peter's today (Semillas.de: ordered twice now, great, quick service and delivery).

Ordered the SB MOA to participate in next years growdown. Looks like good fun :)

By the way: if anyone has any pro tips regarding growing Baccatum and Pubescens, please. Never grew those before.

Chinense:
Snow White
Scotch Bonnet MOA
Trinidad PI 281317
Pimenta da Neyde
Fidalgo Roxa
CGN 23255
Santa Lucia Yellow Seasoning

Annuum:
Fish Pepper

Baccatum:
Bulgarian Eardrop
Aji Amarillo
Aji Angelo

Brocoli said:
The Purple Serrano I grew this year was a pretty beautiful plant to look at. If you got the room, it could surprise you too.

Thanks, if I have space I will! I was just doubting because two years ago I did a purple grow, and I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. A lot turned out to be more black than purple, and I missed the vibrancy of the colours.

b3rnd said:
So I couldn't resist to buy more seeds. This is what I ordered from Peter's today (Semillas.de: ordered twice now, great, quick service and delivery).

Ordered the SB MOA to participate in next years growdown. Looks like good fun :)

By the way: if anyone has any pro tips regarding growing Baccatum and Pubescens, please. Never grew those before.

Chinense:
Snow White
Scotch Bonnet MOA
Trinidad PI 281317
Pimenta da Neyde
Fidalgo Roxa
CGN 23255
Santa Lucia Yellow Seasoning

Annuum:
Fish Pepper

Baccatum:
Bulgarian Eardrop
Aji Amarillo
Aji Angelo

Ah, good!  
I was going to say, "Needs more Cowbell Baccatum but you're in better shape now. Just note that Amarillos are very slow to ripen.

Geonerd said:

Ah, good!  
I was going to say, "Needs more Cowbell Baccatum but you're in better shape now. Just note that Amarillos are very slow to ripen.
Yeah I wasn't planning on growing any at first. But hogleg surprised me with some rocoto seeds and I thought what the hell, might as well go all out.

So how early should I start the Amarillo's? Luckily I have quite a long season, if I can get them to keep producing pods in the summer months.

b3rnd said:
Yeah I wasn't planning on growing any at first. But hogleg surprised me with some rocoto seeds and I thought what the hell, might as well go all out.

So how early should I start the Amarillo's? Luckily I have quite a long season, if I can get them to keep producing pods in the summer months.

Yup, summer flowering is a big problem in hot climates.  Here in Arizona most of my plants stop flowering in late May and don't start up again until late August or early September.  My Amarillo flowered with all the other peppers and has dozens of gorgeous pods, but all are still completely green. :confused:

Starting the plants early won't change this.  I think the best you can do is give them some mid-day and afternoon shade.  An misting system might also help - perhaps a lot?  

I grew Aji Angelos a year ago and recall they did better in the summer than many other plants. Aji Pineapple also set at least a few flowers and fruit throughout the year. In general baccatum are more heat tolerant than most of the stupid-hot chinense varieties.

Geonerd said:

Yup, summer flowering is a big problem in hot climates.  Here in Arizona most of my plants stop flowering in late May and don't start up again until late August or early September.  My Amarillo flowered with all the other peppers and has dozens of gorgeous pods, but all are still completely green. :confused:

Starting the plants early won't change this.  I think the best you can do is give them some mid-day and afternoon shade.  An misting system might also help - perhaps a lot?  

I grew Aji Angelos a year ago and recall they did better in the summer than many other plants. Aji Pineapple also set at least a few flowers and fruit throughout the year. In general baccatum are more heat tolerant than most of the stupid-hot chinense varieties.

Thanks for the info Geonerd! I think a misting system is a little too farfetched for me unfortunately. Gonna try putting up a shade cloth when the days get really hot. But sometimes in the shade it still gets nearly 40 degrees Celsius so keeping my fingers crossed. Might paint my pots white and cover the soil with perlite or something. First grow here so it needs some experimenting!

Brocoli said:
Not the best pic but here is what mine looked like this year..

Wow they do look really nice! Thanks for sharing!

b3rnd said:

Hi.  Your list looks to be both awesome and ambitious.  I'll be watching with interest.

I'm sorry if I'm hijacking, but what's the scoop on the growdown?  I couldn't find a thread for it.... is it specifically an MOA growdown, or is it a general Bonnet growdown?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Back