• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor Tastiest pepper?

I'm pretty new to the exotics, but I was turned on to a small bag of aji amarillo pods maybe 20 years ago and I've been wanting to cultivate them since. I was given the impression at the time that they ONLY grew in exacting environments at certain mountain elevations like they do in Peru. I was a stoned musician, of course I believed it...

I've since tried other hotter peppers, and they're good, but just not Amarillo good...

I'm also big on poppers, looking for a hot jala-type to do that with. I picked up some Tormenta seed from Hippy, we'll see...

Favorite Chinense are MOA's and Choc Habs/JHC's
Favorite all around variety with to many to list are Baccutums especially Aji's
New favorites this season are Rocotto's

The above will make up 90% of 2017's grow list because of their great flavors. 

stettoman said:
I'm pretty new to the exotics, but I was turned on to a small bag of aji amarillo pods maybe 20 years ago and I've been wanting to cultivate them since. I was given the impression at the time that they ONLY grew in exacting environments at certain mountain elevations like they do in Peru. I was a stoned musician, of course I believed it...

I've since tried other hotter peppers, and they're good, but just not Amarillo good...

I'm also big on poppers, looking for a hot jala-type to do that with. I picked up some Tormenta seed from Hippy, we'll see...
I will be growing them for sure next year. 

I haven't had nearly enough varieties to pick a favourite, but I find myself most impressed with peppers that balance a sweetness with a generous dose of heat.  I've seen a lot of milder varieties referred to as "sweet," but i tend to think of "sweetness" and "mildness" as 2 unrelated parameters.  I got some Yellow Primos from AJDrew, and I really liked'm b/c i could detect a lot of sweetness up front before the burn set in.  I think that's rad.  A lot of the chocolate pods i've had so far tend to be more bitter up front, with the heat kicking in to varying degrees and with variable latency behind it.  I'm not as into that so much, but i can see how some folks might really dig it....

But, my favourite so far have been yellow Scotch Bonnets.  I still can't tell if i prefer the PDreadies to the TFMs or whatt....MOAs were also good, but they have a grassy undertone that makes me think of annuums.  I'm well aware of the fact that there's a lot of variation in bonnets, even between different growers' iterations of a given strain.  Just prattling on from my own limited experience.

Purely for flavor... off the top of my head some of my favorite tasting are:
Sweet/Mild: Bell of Gollu, Aji Panca, Holy Mole Passila, Tajin Jalapeno
Hot/Super-Hot: Aji Pineapple, Jay's Peach Ghost Scoprion, Mustard Habanero, I Scream Scorpion

Bicycle808 said:

But, my favourite so far have been yellow Scotch Bonnets.  I still can't tell if i prefer the PDreadies to the TFMs or whatt....MOAs were also good, but they have a grassy undertone that makes me think of annuums.  I'm well aware of the fact that there's a lot of variation in bonnets, even between different growers' iterations of a given strain.  Just prattling on from my own limited experience.
That's interesting to hear, because I don't really like when chinenses have that annuum flavor either. But I've never tried any of those three scotch bonnets. The last ones I tried I bought at the grocery store in a little plastic pint size pack. Red and yellows. It said they were grown in the Netherlands. They pretty much had no flavor, and only a bit of heat around the placenta. Disappointing.

Next year I'll be growing the MOA WHP variety from jwc10tc. So if I get too much of that grassy flavor, maybe I'll try the TFM or PDreadie the next year. I also got some ISO seeds from his Scotch Brain....but I hear that's a whole nother monster.

MIld - Bishops Crown
Medium - Yaki Blue
Hot - Reaper

I do like the "sweetness" of the reaper in jams/jellies
Yaki is great as an addition raw to curries or anything else that needs a little kick
Bishops crown is just great raw, as it s super sweet.

This list will change once I get to taste more of the varieties I am growing

i have only eaten about 20 or so hot peppers so far. and also i cut the seeds and pith out. 
to me the big mustard mama pod i got from texashotpeppers was the tastiest so far
had heat but i was able to taste the flavor 

Jubnat said:
That's interesting to hear, because I don't really like when chinenses have that annuum flavor either. But I've never tried any of those three scotch bonnets. The last ones I tried I bought at the grocery store in a little plastic pint size pack. Red and yellows. It said they were grown in the Netherlands. They pretty much had no flavor, and only a bit of heat around the placenta. Disappointing.

Next year I'll be growing the MOA WHP variety from jwc10tc. So if I get too much of that grassy flavor, maybe I'll try the TFM or PDreadie the next year. I also got some ISO seeds from his Scotch Brain....but I hear that's a whole nother monster.

The MOAs that I have had definitely had chinense characteristics as the dominant flavor, but in my admittedly limited experience, I picked up a slight but perceptible annuum undertone as well.  They were still incredibly delicious.  I picked up some seeds to see if my results varied from the ones i got in a SFRB.

I've had some unidentified peppers that made me go "WOW!" the second the taste hit me.
One was a yellow bonnet looking pod that I ate whole. The taste was sweet (sugary), fruity, slightly chinense (pleasant, delicate aroma), not bitter, not soapy, not annuum undertone. Juicy.
The heat started after a few seconds and was building slowly. Powerfull, warm, pleasant. 
I'm growing out seeds from another pod that was red, and tasted similar. 
This would be my favourite type of pepper favourwise.

My MOA gave only two off pheno pods. I'll keep the plant, but I'm afraid it is not going to be my favourite.
Not very sweet, citrusy rather than fruity and a type of burn I don't find as nice as a mouth burn of a piripiri or even some habs.

Also.... Brazilian Starfish stuffed with cream cheese, feta and olives... mmm

Great choices guys :), really love how everyone is so passionate and easy to approach in this community.

Will be trying to grow the aforementioned lemon drops for sweetness and MOAs for the heattness :)

Back