• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

I have no idea where to start..

So I have a couple of ferments that are ready(I think) to go whenever I want. 

My experience fermenting for the most part has been a failure.  I never used starters,  they always bubbled/fermented, but always ended up gagging me/rotten by the end.   Maybe it wasn't enough salt, I don't know. 

Minus a little white mold from the top  the one with airlocks don't seem *too* bad.  

image:  
AnpLq4H.jpg

I just don't have any idea where to start with all of this ferment in terms of recipes/ vinegar ratios etc.   I would appreciate any help I could get.  I just don't want to screw up both of them is all.  

They're  both essentially a random mix of yellow scorpions, reapers, and kracken scorpions, but the one on the right is also smoked.    

Your ferments look good...the bottles on the right look a bit full, might want to consider a tad more head-space.
For salt in my ferments I will generally use a 2%-2.5% salt to weight of produce ratio.
Have fun, the fermentation addiction is real.

They look great....I like using straight mash, 1 Tblspoon and mix it into scrambled eggs, place a scoop onto a sandwich with mayo, put it into a baked potato.

Or take your contents and puree, place of stove cook, add vinegar for hot sauce.

Those look delicious.

I'd volunteer that not enough salt was for sure your issue if you've been going no starters/just salt.  For processing I'd try just cooking the existing ferments down without additions (don't forget to food mill/immersion blender).  The resultant mash can then be added to/cooked further with other ingredients.  Or kept as is. Mostly you want to make sure your pH levels are low enough for long term storage and that the mash is flavorful/balanced as needed.

Back