• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Recipe for making good hot wings with No VINEGAR?!?

Everytime I eat hotwings they're either not cooked and RAW and/or have a gallon of Vinegar in the sauce. While you're eating them and breathe in the vinegar, it makes you cough. The people that cooked the wings think it's thier special blend of hot sauce making me cough! **LMAO** It's the FF'in VINEGAR!!!! PURE FF'in VINEGAR! **LOL** I like to taste my food.

Need them mild/hot to hot (not scorching hot!) Hot enough for a wide variety of people without turning them away.

You might try subbing lime or lemon juice, maybe use a little less.

It will provide the needed acidity but will taste a little different.

:) This is hilarious. Go to www.defconsauces.com
BEST wing sauce you will ever have. If you are looking for med hot. - go with the DEFCON TWO (DEFCON THREE is real mild, DEFCON ONE is an extract based sauce that has a nice kick).

He may not sell to you though :P

You know John, I still haven't tried the #2. Planning on having a Defcon day with #2 during the Rib Cookoff on Apr.22.
As for myself, I love the Defcon #1 on my chicken. :)

Hi Frank, glad to hear it. I find the #1 a bit warm. When Nick from the HSB devoured 52 #1 wings, and Huvason ingested 49 of the sick little puppies I was truly amazed. The #2 has a nice little spice to it, nothing over the top, so everyone can eat them. It's truly our best seller.

As for vinegar, it's a necessary evil in some sauces. We use 4 different kinds, a very small amount of each. Since there is clarified butter in them, we have to be able to lower the pH level so as to drastically increase the shelf life, meanwhile hindering the chances of it becoming a microbial gruel. Believe me, our stuff isn't vinegar water, as many will attest to around here, but instead of adding all sorts of chemical additives to acheive the same result, we choose to stay within Nature's realm.

I like DefCon's wing sauce, it's definitely deservous of the 2006 Scovie for Best Wing Sauce. Of course, I can generously say that, the Peppermaster hasn't developed one yet.

T

On the food channel I saw a restaurant use a dry rub and then grill the wings, and people swore by this place. I believe it was chili powder, garlic powder, and paprika. For extra spicy they hit 'em up with an extra dose of chili powder after the first coating of spices.

Try a little Death Rain Nitro on them. I'm sure the Creator will kill me for this, but I BAKE my wings (I know, I know) with Garlic Pepper and Death Rain Nitro (for me - I skip this step for the guests). Then I coat them in DEFCON ONE when they are done - or TWO for guests, or a combo of TWO and ONE (a ONE and a HALF according to the Creator).

Grilling or baking will work well...it's just not "traditional".

I prefer grilling but I have made excellent hot wings in the oven.

A hot rub should work well too...just let the chicken set for a few hours in the fridge to dry "marinate". You might want to slaver some sauce on toward the end.

thehotpepper.com said:
On the food channel I saw a restaurant use a dry rub and then grill the wings, and people swore by this place. I believe it was chili powder, garlic powder, and paprika. For extra spicy they hit 'em up with an extra dose of chili powder after the first coating of spices.

Ugh, baked wings. I tried doing it that way over 10 years ago, and soon gave up, as the turkey fryer is the only way to go. People all have their own way of doing them, but considering the following we've developed, and the turnouts we get at the parties we throw, specifically for the wings, frying is it.

DEFCON Creator said:
Bring on the orders! We have plenty!
Congrats on the new fryer! :lol:

I may be able to get you a new client to buy your sauce. I'm going to order a bottle of the #2 and if it's decent, I'll give the rest of the bottle to a small restaurant where I dine at so they can use it on thier wings.

From what I've read, this #2 is something most people can tolerate, correct?
Next time I order from this place though, I'm going to tell them to cook the wings another 2-3 minutes at least ;) I HATE RAW MEAT!

Do you guys have any problems getting half cooked wings when you order them? Do you notice they're undone or do you just not care because they're so hot/spicy that you can't tell?

Yeah, the #2 is a good balance of heat and flavor. Thanks for the pitch.

As for undercooked wings, I've gotten them at restaurants where they are still red on the bone, just plain nasty.

Quick helpful hint, if you are frying them, after 3-4 minutes, take them out of the oil (they aren't cooked thru yet), stab each wing section with a 2-pronged BBQ fork once, and put them back in the oil. This creates kind of a Peking Duck result, where the skin separates from the meat and crisps up nice, and the meat remains tender.

Back