• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

simple method of finding the spiciness of a type of pepper quantitatively

I equipped myself, to be able to do the scoville test (Maybe not as accurate as HPLC testing) but will give me a good idea of the amount of capsaicin in my pepper.
By following the technique used at The Woodlands secondary school in Mississauga, Ontario. The document is for the class of Chemistry grade 11 (so I might be able to do it).

see it here: http://www.odec.ca/projects/2008/like8k2/

image from the link
do92bpZ.png
kOhLr09.png

That's pretty rad.  Personally, i don't care too much about this sort of thing, but this is probably a really awesome DIY evaluation method for those who do care about the heat hierarchy. 

That looks like some nice, practical equipment.  do you plan on checking your results by sending same/similar samples out for testing?  just to get an idea of calibration? or are you just getting a sense of the SHU for your own grow, in relation to one another?  

Bicycle808 said:
That looks like some nice, practical equipment.  do you plan on checking your results by sending same/similar samples out for testing?  just to get an idea of calibration? or are you just getting a sense of the SHU for your own grow, in relation to one another?  
If I have good result for an hybrid I will send to the lab but for now it's mainly to give me a sense of which method of culture will give me the best result.
As well as tested the difference between the force when the chili is harvested mature on the plant and harvested before maturity and allowed to mature out of the plant

Jase4224 said:
Awesome! Also could make extract using that method on a larger scale.
yes, but not with ethanol.

aySCCAF.png
Not really need the Stirrer & hot plate a simple variable speed drill would do the trick and a heat source without flame.

floricole said:
yes, but not with ethanol.

aySCCAF.png
Not really need the Stirrer & hot plate a simple variable speed drill would do the trick and a heat source without flame.

I make soap, using a stick blender, but i know a young lady who is studying and creating biofuels at University.  For thje process she's using, they saponify stuff, and she was really curious how home-based DIY soapers achieve saponification.  When i told her i use a stick blender, she seemed kinda disappointed.  When I asked her what she uses, she said they have these trick magnets that, due to the arrangement of the polarity, they spin very fast in a beaker or graduated cylinder or whatever....  have you looked into getting a set of those?

Bicycle808 said:

I make soap, using a stick blender, but i know a young lady who is studying and creating biofuels at University.  For thje process she's using, they saponify stuff, and she was really curious how home-based DIY soapers achieve saponification.  When i told her i use a stick blender, she seemed kinda disappointed.  When I asked her what she uses, she said they have these trick magnets that, due to the arrangement of the polarity, they spin very fast in a beaker or graduated cylinder or whatever....  have you looked into getting a set of those?
that is what I use with my stirrer
Teflon Polygon Magnetic Stirring Bar

zxuqlqy.png

Back