Back to beer

During the pepper off season here in the northeast, I try to get a few brews in.

Trying out some new gadgets today.

IMG_6859.JPG

SmokenFire said:
I miss brewing beer.  Going for an IPA or?
Trying to do a Spiced Belgian blond ale. It has been awhile for me too.
Thegreenchilemonster said:
Nice! Are you doing a caramel witbier?
The recipe was for a Belgian blond ale. I will post my numbers later. Need to hit a few stores.
grantmichaels said:
Nice ...

How did the temp hold during the mash? ...

Like a rock. The immersion chiller has great too. So much quicker.

I'm conceding here and now that wheebz is right that coolers making the best mash tuns for homebrewing.

I will probably use my mash system because I already have it - but I would not suggest that it's in any way necessary for small batches.

I'm leaving this here for Grass Snake, or anyone else thinking about brewing. Use a cooler ...

Mash tun dynamics don't need to be made complex when you can just use a cooler and RDWHAHB or whatever ...

I'm much happier with the complexities in my process that are beyond the boil than I am with any of the stuff that goes down prior ...

It's such that at the end of the day, insulation is a simple and effective coverall for an otherwise complicated as fuck problem (temp and viscosity) ...

The reason I haven't tapped my 80 qt kettle yet - is because I'm very much considering just making it a second, larger boil kettle, and using my 100 qt cooler as my mash-tun like I'd originally planned ...

Part of the reason I'm going with Hot Rod's ;) ...

Can be used kettle-to-kettle, easily ...

Boss can skip this one, it's TL;DR, but for G.S. ...

The cooler eliminates any and all need for PID-control pre-boil, which is another step towards RDWHAHB ...

PID-control is best for everything post-boil, and I think you really are rewarded with an improved result for carefully managing chilling (get that cold break, son) and pitching and ferm temp, and crashing temp etc ...

But you can buy simple fucking PID-controllers for that, that don't cost an arm and a leg ... because they don't have to be rated for boil-element power, and they don't need to be auber-style PID like heating elements require ...

So ...

Fuck mash-temp control ...

You can boil without throttling ... add more W's of elements and go tits out at it ... no need for digital temp anything until after you've brewed it IMHO ...

On the other side it's not all bad ...

A lot of the stuff I've added along the way for beer that's been brewed is good shit ...

Having ample kegs and related gear for doing shit with beer in kegs has been worthwhile - if only since finally learning to do closed-system liquid transfers (finally).

So ...

I'm really all for the simplest of brewing setup's, at the end of the day ...

If it's nice outside and whatnot, a cooler and kettle and burner would be a great brew day that's easy to reason about, for sure ...

Here's there's a lot of heat and humidity and frankly, insects ... and it doesn't appeal much to me, right down to the propane refilling lifestyle ...

But yeah ... *brewing* the beer doesn't warrant being made complicated ...

yeah ... don't bother ...

a fuckin' cooler and through-wall bulkhead and ball-valve and false-bottom and a kettle with a weld-less bulkhead and ball-valve and an immersion chiller and you're making beer ...

an immersion circulator to use both for brewing (precise strike water) and for cooking is a nice upgrade ...

spend the money on the shit that happens after you've made wort ;)

Back