• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Sorry, Its Been Awhile

Sorry I haven't been very active for a bit, Ive still been lurking, reading and enjoying the forum, in a disconnected manner I guess, lol.

Ive been up to the fermenting thing still, this last year I started using 7 gallon widemouth glass carboys as opposed to the 1 gallon carboys I was using, gotta say, the widemouth makes it so much easier than the bottle neck, from start to finish, its easier. They're glass and when filled, a bit heavy so care is taken when moving, carrying, inspecting. During the spring, summer and fall, I kept them in the garage, but now that winter is upon us here in chilly SoCal they have their own indoor closet where temps don't dip so low. 
Most recently are these 2, a verde and a red. The verde is jalapeno and serrano, the red is fresno and ghost. Both use pink Himalayan salt and a starter culture.
I plan on letting the green go for 90 days and the red will be either 60 or 90, it depends on the flavor and ph at the 60 day mark.

http://imgur.com/a/1T2qp

Well, it seems Ive been inactive long enough that I forgot how to post a darn image..

pcgHxr3l.jpg

Oooh, I hope that shows up...
Anywho...
Hi Everyone!!! :dance:

Really cool man, cheers

7 gallon = 896oz  = #180 5oz woozies per batch and you have 2 types....so #360 bottles per 90 days is 4 bottles of 5oz hot sauce per day.  

Gotta say that is a hell of a lot more hot sauce than I use.  I probably go through a 5 oz bottle every 2-3 weeks so lets call it 15 days.  If you fermented batches continuously every 90 days you would be using hot sauce 60X my "burn" rate LOL.    Are you selling this commercially?  Or maybe this is a once a year ferment for you and you have 14 or so hot sauce heads friends coming to get bottles from you?

I'm curious because I've thought of trying to commercialize "craft" hot sauces.

Back