Golden Malawi Piquante or Peppadew

If you find 'em, let me know. I have both in the standard red, but not yellow. Really good peppers, too.

Not that it's too very similar, but Dulce Sol is an EXCELLENT mild, yellow baccatum.

from the web site http://peppadewusa.com/golden-fresh/
Fresh Peppadew® Goldew™ is the newest member of the Peppadew® family! grown exclusively on New Jersey farms, Fresh Goldew is available in a growing number of fine supermarkets. It is a “Jersey Fresh” product.

Are there members of this region who have seen it fresh

I am from Jersey and I have never seen them, although I might not have done the best job looking for them.  Here is another quote from their website:

For the second year, Peppadew USA is growing gold peppadews, Peppadew Goldew, for the fresh market. Goldews are grown on the company’s 15 acre farm in New Jersey and distributed to Shoprite stores in New Jersey and New York. They are available in the fresh produce department of the store. Peppadew USA is the only grower of peppadews in the US and the only company in the world that grows this product for the fresh market.

Damn.  We shop at ShopRite.  I don't recall seeing the peppers.  Here is another quote:

The produce variety has a 90-day growing season. “We plant in May and harvest from August through October, so availability is limited to about three months a year,” said Crawley. “Our goal is to expand to the West Coast as the mild climate in combination with New Jersey production would allow for a longer supply window.”

This article came from April 2015 so I was not looking for this pepper at that time.  I will keep an eye out this summer.  If I can find some fresh ones, I will definitely save a ton of seeds to share.

Back