• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

What's up with the weather?

Holy cow. That is friggen COLD! We are warming up, it's +3° F now. They are calling for +37° F on Wednesday.

So I have a question for all of you, but, Stettoman and HM01, How do you heat your homes?

We have a wood stove and burn about 3 cords a year. We used to burn about 5 cords, but last year we bought a brand new Jøtul wood stove and it is the most efficient wood stove I have ever used. It burns about 4 pieces of wood every 6 hours. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Scoville DeVille said:
hey hey hey this is serious shit.

8:20 PM, -3ºF, 92%H

This shit is interesting you bastages!

Wait whaaat??? How the hael do you have %92 humidity if its -3???????? That doesn't make any sense??

pass me some moar of that cheese, so I can understand this.

Wimpy69 said:
At that temp wouldn't the moisture in the air just freeze on everything. Thick frost? Normally wouldn't that cold air be at a low humidity.
Yes. Mostly. Here we call it Rime. All the trees are white and everthing else above ground. The other thing about our humidity is that our sensor is covered with snow so the reading is probably exagerated. Our other sensor, that's on the porch under cover, is reading 35% which is why there is no Rime this morning. Our primary sensor is still reading 92%. It's 20 feet up so I can clear the snow out of it. It's kind of a cup thing that also measures rainfall.

Rime:

IMG_0913.JPG

We-re on dual heat, Scovie, forced air propane and electric (baseboard heat). We had 14", yes, FOURTEEN inches of blown in insulation added to the 16 inches we already had in the attic two years ago, and a 3 500 gallon tank winter became a 1-and-a-fraction tank winter instantly.

We're @ 22.9 below right now, but our humidity is below 10 percent.

Folks, Scovie's reading of 92% humidity refers to relative humidity. Meaning the air currently contains 92% of what it could possibly hold at that temp. It just means that the dewpoint is only a few degrees cooler than the current temp. 100% relative humidity can occur at any temp.
     And Scovie, we heat with natural gas provided by the city and by beans.

Hoar frost is the white, feathery ice you commonly see in the mountains that is the result of fog being pushed uphill into an area where the surface temp condenses and freezes the moisture in the air. Usually the frost feathers only point one direction because of the wind that is pushing it and it usually only forms on the windward side of trees and objects. Rime is just thick frost that forms out of thin air. It usually forms in all directions equally.

edit: Dammit, I could've been a meteorologist If I had just learned to wave my arms and scream "PANIC!".

stettoman said:
and a 3 500 gallon tank winter became a 1-and-a-fraction tank winter instantly.
Huh? :Rofl:

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Folks, Scovie's reading of 92% humidity refers to relative humidity. Meaning the air currently contains 92% of what it could possibly hold at that temp. It just means that the dewpoint is only a few degrees cooler than the current temp. 100% relative humidity can occur at any temp.
See, that's why this thread is awesome. I never really knew wtf "dew point" was.

IMG_0916.JPG

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

IMO Thats gotta be a false reading. If the one not exposed to snow and frost is reading %35 that's the one I trust. Maybe the sun is melting the snow on the sensor of the other one??

Yeah, 35% is definitely the one I go by, even that is a bit high. I have two humidifiers running and it's all I can do to keep the humidity up to 24% (inside the house, duh lol). Wood stoves are notoriously dry so between that and our climate, I go through 4 gallons of water every 12 hours and I still get sparked every time I touch anything. The sun doesn't melt shit at these temps, it evaporates. Mostly because it's so arid where we live.

Back