• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Endorphin Rush

Ok, I myself have experienced the wounders of the hot pepper endorphin rush and love it. But Don't know much about it. I have heard that the endorphins are only released on the second taste of capsaicin. Is this true?

I had an endorphin rush the first time I ever bit into an habanero.

I'd been eating jalapenos by then for years, so, it wasn't my first taste of cap that gave me the rush, but it sure wasn't only the second.

From my understanding of it regardless of whether or not we notice it, there is an automatic endorphin rush. The more accustomed we are to eating the pepper, the less impactful the endorphin rush. The neurochemistry of it is quite interesting though.

T

chiliman said:
GREAT papper! Read it before I went to bed last night. It actually does mention the second taste thing(but in a way that was slightly different then what my friend said). It basically said that after the first taste the pain/pleasure recepter pathways become charged and that when another taste is administered that changes the pH then you get a five fold reaction increase. You still get an endorphin rush on the first try, but you'll get a bigger rush on the second go around.

I must be doing something wrong then. Since my first taste and rush from Ground Zero, NaDa. :shock: Other than Final Answer, which I'm getting used to. And when I take 2 seperate tastes of it, the second doesn't even seem as hot. :?
When I O.D. on hot sauce, I only get PAIN, as the time when I spilled a lot of Ultimate Insanity in a bowl of stew. :D
Oh well, the rush has nothing on the taste of a good sauce! :D

tinner666 said:
I must be doing something wrong then. Since my first taste and rush from Ground Zero, NaDa. :shock: Other than Final Answer, which I'm getting used to. And when I take 2 seperate tastes of it, the second doesn't even seem as hot. :?
When I O.D. on hot sauce, I only get PAIN, as the time when I spilled a lot of Ultimate Insanity in a bowl of stew. :D
Oh well, the rush has nothing on the taste of a good sauce! :D
That just means that you have built up a tolerance and are less likely to feel that much pain/pleasure. Like I said, the paper that was linked to basically explaned it all. You should read it, it's very insightful.

And after checking out other articles today, I would have to say that it's right on the money.

Thanks to the God of Guitar for the fine words on my paper link. I did not catch the second taste thing (I read fast and inaccuratly! Party!)

While we are all sharing, I had my first after eating a particularly large and hot Jalapeno at work. I was a pleasure to work with, what with all the vivid colors and the world being so very bright. Not at all like my other "first time". Way less begging, crying and shame with the Jalapeno one. Anyway, shared to much, must punish self.

This place is becoming very scary.

I heard about this group in the States. Call themselves pepper surfers or Cap surfers... something like that.

They eat hot peppers, one after the other, until they get stoned, then they keep eating them to see how long they can stay stoned.

Hot peppers: the only legal psychotropic drug... Where is Timothy Leary when you need him???

T

Tina Brooks said:
Hot peppers: the only legal psychotropic drug... Where is Timothy Leary when you need him???
'
Actually there are many legal ones. You just have to search.(ie: San Pedro cactus, wormwood, etc etc) :D

I have heard of the cap high as well and have done it myself once or twice...It's intense and groovy! The best one I had was when I ate a whole grilled Carabbean Red Hot(seeds and all)....wow that one hurt but after a bit was well worth it! Like the article syas, the pleasure receptures kick in after a short bit.

ChefEx said:
Don't eat the brown hab's....don't eat the brown hab's... 8)
lol.

Back