• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Why do peppers grow like this?

rIKeFkT.jpg

I can't figure why some do this. Anything I can do to prevent it? I have other jalapenos so I won't continue growing this one.

Peppers (and other plants) tend to grow weak, leggy stems when they're started indoors without wind blowing on them to stress them and force them to harden up.
     There's nothing wrong with your plant. You might want to transplant it deeper so the curved part is buried (it will grow adventitious roots). Either way, put a fan on them to start hardening up those stems.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Peppers (and other plants) tend to grow weak, leggy stems when they're started indoors without wind blowing on them to stress them and force them to harden up.
     There's nothing wrong with your plant. You might want to transplant it deeper so the curved part is buried (it will grow adventitious roots). Either way, put a fan on them to start hardening up those stems.

Thanks!

Makes sense. This one has been leggy since the beginning. I planted it up to its leaves when I put it in this pot because of that.

I started more than I knew I would need just in case of things like this.

Brocoli said:
Or you can brush your hand over them a few times a day to simulate wind stress. I have a peach habanero in my window that I shake like it stole money from me - solid as a rock.
Thanks. That makes sense.

You gon learn today!

No pain, no gain.  

It's like a lanky teenager who sits on the couch playing video games, after getting up at noon.  It just hasn't got enough ass to support its head. 

By the way - looking at the scar on that stem, you had a near damping off experience.  Be careful not to overwater your seedlings.

solid7 said:
No pain, no gain.  

It's like a lanky teenager who sits on the couch playing video games, after getting up at noon.  It just hasn't got enough ass to support its head. 

By the way - looking at the scar on that stem, you had a near damping off experience.  Be careful not to overwater your seedlings.
When the seedlings are outside I have a hard time regulating that.

You gon learn today!

mas_fuego said:
When the seedlings are outside I have a hard time regulating that.

I understand - just telling you for the sake of your success - you'll have to find a way.  If not, you'll lose plenty of seedlings in Florida.  You started this batch (I think) in the dry season.  You won't get away with that if you start a second wave in the spring.  Covered porch, temporary seedling shelter, etc...

Back