My Redneck DIY portable pizza oven

My OCD got the best of me lol and I made this today. I'm going to give it a go this afternoon and if all goes well it's a pizza party for Christmas tomorrow . I made a little chimney on mine but all the videos on YouTube do not but I'm 100% sure this will be an improvement over the others.The inside depth is 32 inches and the inside width is 22 inches which should work for any size pizza. Wish me luck :)

Attachments

• IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 168
What is the top metal? Make sure not galvanized, you risk heavy metal zinc poisoning if so especially at the high temps of this contraption. Just checking.

No reason why it should not work....good luck....are you going to slap up a make shift door to hold in the heat.

Be careful man. Those aren't Fire Bricks. They look like Red Clay Bricks but hopefully they aren't concrete bricks. Red clay is not recommended for the oven floor. They are subjected to greater thermal cycles and will end up spalling (cracking and/or flaking). It looks like ceramic tile under the bricks? If it were me, I would put cement board down like HardiBacker then two layers of fire brick for the oven floor, about $1.20 each, at Home Depot. I don't mean to sound like a downer but that thing looks scarry. It's not an urban legend that clay or concrete bricks can explode under high heat.

Have a few cocktails then go for it. lol

Scoville DeVille said:
 It's not an urban legend that clay or concrete bricks can explode under high heat.

I used to start my charcoal chimney on a concrete patio slab.....until one day after it rained and the moisture in the concrete made steam and did blow my chimney right over....went off like a shotgun.

Sizzle Lips said:

I used to start my charcoal chimney on a concrete patio slab.....until one day after it rained and the moisture in the concrete made steam and did blow my chimney right over....went off like a shotgun.
Exactly. Because of shipping costs, bricks are usually made locally wherever you are using different materials in vastly different conditions. Some folks will never have an issue with Red Clay bricks (except long term spalling) and some will have exploding bricks. It comes down to moisture content. Fire bricks are fired at a much higher temp, and hold heat better/longer. Even they theoretically, could explode if they contain too much moisture AND are heated up too quickly.

Just be careful is all I am saying, start a small fire and let the bricks come up to temp slowly, allowing all moisture to escape as you get them hotter and hotter.

:cheers:

wait... wheres the pizza go? on top with the chimney when it gets hot or inside there with the coals?either way wont it get stuck with all the gaps?dont you need a ceramic plate or something? great project either way...

Back