• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Winter Squash suggestions

cone9

Extreme Member
I have never grown winter squash.  I am interested in trying a couple this year.  I am looking for suggestions for smaller size squash that have a compact growth habit.

I would like a sweeter flavored flesh and plan to mainly bake them and use in soups

I am considering Delicata and Blue Kuri but am wide open to suggestions.  Good storage quality would be nice as my family will not want squash often or in large amounts.  I was sent some seed for Red Kuri last year but darned if I can not find where I put it!

I am located in NE Ohio but not up by the lake - USDA zone 6a

Thanks

Delicata is a really good one. It's definitely not a bush type plant, but in my experience they're not huge either. And they won't store as well as butternut or hubbard, but with the right care they'll definitely keep for the winter.
     The flavor and sweetness is really where they shine, though. So much so that long storage probably won't be needed. :drooling: (Your family is going to love them!) You can cut them in half and bake them like a regular squash or just chop them into pieces and roast them. The thin skin (the reason they don't store as well as others) is soft enough to just eat.
     The smaller size (~2 lb) makes them convenient and their very high productivity makes them economical. Great varitey!

Back