• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Buncha MALARKY 2017

Welcome to my first Glog everyone. This is my second grow. Thanks to the generosity of the THP community I am in possession of more varieties of seeds than I'll ever be able to grow. I have limited yard space and I try to keep things cheap to make this hobby less annoying to my wife.

So I'm located outside of Madison, WI. Zone 5a/4b
My goal is grow a wider variety of heat this year.

First 4 varieties Soaking:
-Aji LemonDrop (contest)
-Aji Amarillo
-Peruvian Red Rocotto
-Aji Oro

NL7ZIfE.jpg

It's just the beginning. I need to grab some more of these cups for soaking.
Thanks for looking in. At a MINIMUM, I'll update once a week.

I ordered a big bag of FFOF online with free shipping to my local hardware store.
I hope it gets here soon.
The first 4 are out of their soak and onto MOIST papertowel in those denture cups on the heat mat.
Anybody know if C.pubescens seeds have any different heat requirements for germination? I have the heat mat set for like 88F.

Also, I'm hoping to eventually select specimens for long-term houseplant-bonchi type treatments. (outside for the growing season of course).
Does anyone have any experience with long term C.pubescens? In most of the pictures of C.pubes I've seen, they seem like very green vine like plants.
Do they ever develop a nice barked trunk?

My OW experiment. Plants cut back this fall and after defoliating, rootwashing, and soaping, they were potted up in an inorganic mix of #2CherryStone granite grit and NAPA Floordry #8822. 3 parts granite, 2 parts FloorDry. I've been fertigating them with weak FoliagePro 9-3-6 as the medium dries out. So far i'm pretty happy. They are in a South window of a chilly 2nd floor guestroom.

From Left to Right, BahaGoatx2, RedSavina, ChocHab
WrvoqX8.jpg

A little while later, BahaGoatx2, Choc Hab, RedSavina, and a couple of KeyLimes I started from seed. I'll take the next picture with better light.
ApE8IFR.jpg

And finally a 3 year old WildFlower Mead that turned out amazing...it just took a really long time to get there. The first tasting bottles were not very good.
SEQJ2Ax.jpg

CGN21500 gets a soak this morning, but the kids started crying and stopped me from doing any more.
I'll soak s'more tonight.

Looking good so far! That mead looks delicious. Three years is a long wait, but I'm sure it's worth it.
Malarky said:
I ordered a big bag of FFOF online with free shipping to my local hardware store.
I hope it gets here soon.
The first 4 are out of their soak and onto MOIST papertowel in those denture cups on the heat mat.
Anybody know if C.pubescens seeds have any different heat requirements for germination? I have the heat mat set for like 88F.

Also, I'm hoping to eventually select specimens for long-term houseplant-bonchi type treatments. (outside for the growing season of course).
Does anyone have any experience with long term C.pubescens? In most of the pictures of C.pubes I've seen, they seem like very green vine like plants.
Do they ever develop a nice barked trunk?

I germinate Pubescens the same way I germinate all of my pepper seeds. In a damp peper towel, in a ziplock, and in a warm dark closet for a week. I had 100% germination on the 17 rocoto seeds I prepped for this year.

Pubescens will develop a trunk with some bark, but the trunk doesn't get nearly as thick as Chinense plants do.

3 more and the last for a little while.
2q6OgaG.jpg

2017 so far:
C.chinense
Aji Limo Rojo
P. Dreadie SS
Judy's Peach Bhut SS
CGN21500
Red Savina OW
BahaGoat OW
Choc Hab OW-I've got soo many dehydrated pods I might just give this one away.

C.baccatum
Aji Amarillo
Aji LemonDrop (Contest)
Bishop's Crown

C.pubescens
Aji Oro
Peruvian Red Rocoto
Mini Rocoto Rojo
Manzano (PepperGuru adopted this plant and sent me seeds)

Edit! 500 posts! woohoo!

Now I need to plan where all these are going to go. I plan on some 5-6 ga buckets but I think I'll need a raised bed too.
And I need to make my wife 2 beds for "normal" veggies, or this pepper hobby will get shut down quick.
Wife doesn't want the yard junked up with white 5ga buckets. Maybe I'll craft up some wood planters to hide the buckets with while still keeping them portable.

Malarky said:

Wife doesn't want the yard junked up with white 5ga buckets. Maybe I'll craft up some wood planters to hide the buckets with while still keeping them portable.

You're in WI? Check the local L&M (if you have one) or Menards. They often sell whiskey barrels, cut in half, of course...The whiskey leaked out long ago....

Busy weekend!
Starting on Friday I had 100% germination on all my Lemondrops and Amarillos!
I've also had 3 or 4 Aji Oro and so far 1 Peruvian Red Rocoto pop! (my first C.pubescens!!)
I'm eagerly awaiting some chinense action still.
I popped the sprouts into fresh double cup set-ups, stuffed with brand new FFOF and covered with ziplocs to keep the humidity in until they emerge.
KpSoTJA.jpg

pav7kgU.jpg

I also finally began to finish some wine that has been patiently sitting under airlock in my basement well over a year.
I stabilized an oaked banana wine and I racked an elderberry wine that has been sitting on lees for a really long time. 
To the elderberry i just added a toasted oak spiral for a few weeks. we'll see how that goes.
Here is the left over topping wine. Its pretty good but there is definitely something lacking in the flavor profile that I hope the oak contributes.
Z4inxPd.jpg

Back