• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Peppers for home made chili powder

I would like to make my own chili powder and was wondering what peppers you folks use for yours or some good suggestions.

Thanks.

I use two basic powders mostly. One is Orange Hab, Orange Thai, and Tabasco, the other is Anaheim, Pasilla Bajio, and Cascabel for making my chili...

That sounds like a "nice overall burn" Chiliac but I'm looking for something that I can feed to the local sissies too. I can customize a separate pot for us manly men.:)

In this case I'm with AJ or you can try using a few spoons of ANcho along with Cayenne. Not tooooo hot and VERY tasty. I used it in a pot of sissie chili :) and everybody said the heat was perfect and the chili was very tasty. I also used some fresh dutch chilis.

The chimayo is another very flavorful medium hot pepper that I really enjoy.
If anyone has a good strain of these let me know, I'm not happy with the version I'm currently growing

I make my chili powder with ancho, cascabel, arbol, and smoked paprika. I use common peppers because I have not grown any pepper plants so far, so the varieties are limited.

I'm actually looking for chimayo seeds too, along with a few other varieties.

I make two types of powders:
  • Red Seasoning
    African Birdseye, Shata, Kashmiri, Moroccan Paprika and Bhut Jolokia
  • Asian Bomb
    Yemenite Birdseye, Cardamom, Cumin, Clove and Coriander

I'm working my way through a batch of red habanero.

I also received an exceptionally hot batch of naga powder made by our very own billyboy - that stuff is HOT!!! my local shopkeeper would like your postal address billyboy as he wants to send you a Christmas card as a sign of his appreciation for his increased sales of toilet paper and anusol wipes since I started using your naga powder.

I think you can pretty much use any peppers you like, just remember that you don't need much powder as it really concentrates the heat.

Asian Bomb - great name and I also like the combination of spices, might try that myself with some African Bird's Eye.

I like to make a mix of Dutch Chilis, Onion, Garlic, Celery and Sea Salt. A very universal mix that tastes good with nearly anything. You can use hotter peppers if you like, of course.

I have got my basic chili powder taste just about where I want it...now I am looking at the color of it...I want it a dark dark red so I will be adding more Pasillas to it...I just hope that doesn't change the taste very much...

I have not tried smokin' the peppers yet because I don't want to lose the taste I already have...

I have a few blends but I generally just mix different types as needed. I'm also a big fan of smoked peppers and have recently become a heavy smoker:)

Back