• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dennish 2017 - It's Chilli in Yorkshire

Happy New Year!

Still deliberating over my ‘final’ list as per usual!  It will be 'more of the same' with some small tweaks here and there, and no radical changes in approach from me.  I feel I’m close to optimum in terms of squeezing the maximum potential out of my small greenhouse space (8’ x 6’).

Here's my current thinking on the line-up and GH layout, likely to change a bit;

329fad247ee98b656891969e0ce3dd27.jpg

The game is now afoot!  Early sowings in my trusty Garland Fab 4 on New year’s Day;
39d0b2d75d3e4b7a406209ea909d76f9.jpg

My Crosses
Aji Bodysnatcher F3
Yorkshire Barghest F1 (I only have 2 seed, fingers crossed!)

Competition
Scotch Bonnet MOA (http://thehotpepper.com/topic/62887-land-of-the-giants-2017-biggest-bonnet-competition/)
Aji Lemon Drop (http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63073-growdown-throwdown-2017-aji-lemon-drop/page-1)

Pubescens
Rio Huallaga Rocoto

Also, my 6 year old Trindad Scorpion CARDI Yellow has finally begun to sprout after the usual hard root and branch cutback, great to see new leaves unfurling from his mighty old trunk... come on old boy, you can do it!  8)

52d3aeb0986a8ee48d60c78ec08aacd6.jpg

8aa95071fc3ee47583c94ce42ce06500.jpg

b5631d83951b08e74bba1d51b3c65b15.jpg

I’m having a major extension on the house this year in spring, so hoping that my grow won't suffer too much.

Wishing all my friends at THP a bountiful 2017.

Cheers,

Dennis

Happy NewYear Dennis!
Looking forward to seeing the F3BodySnatcher.
Is Barghest the unnamed project you hinted at previously?

Allright, Dennis, that will be a rocking' greenhouse!

Good luck in the upcoming season!

OCD Chilehead said:
That is a fantastic layout. Looks like you left room to crawl to the pods. LOL! What a beautiful specimen of a 6 year old chilli plant. Keeping my fingers crossed for your Yorkshire Barghest to sprout.

Wishing you the best of seasons.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck, it's going to be tight on space (by design), which probably affects yields overall although not too dramatically.  I'll probably have at least one drop from the list by way of natural selection, i.e. no show or runt / poor performer.  I wouldn't be surprised if I add one or two also! haha

I move the plants in the middle around to allow access and also move some of the annuums outside in high summer too.  Also, when the toms get culled early autumn that allows for further shifting around.  So in summary, not a hard and fast layout, more an initial layout and I'll be moving things to suit as the grow evolves. 

dragonsfire said:
Good luck on your production !!
Great looking trunk their :)
Many thanks, same to you!

Devv said:
Good luck this season Dennis!
Many thanks Scott, same to you!

Malarky said:
Happy NewYear Dennis!
Looking forward to seeing the F3BodySnatcher.
Is Barghest the unnamed project you hinted at previously?

Hi Malarky, thanks!  Yes, I'm excited to see what the F3 Aji Bodysnatcher generation will bring, my plan is to grow 2 generations again, so by the end of the year hope to be in a position to release seed if it proves worthy.

The Yorkshire Barghest is my attempt at a Super / Hot cross, from two of my favourites (one parent in the woody old TS CARDI pictured above, the other is Bhut Orange Copenhagen).  I made the cross very late in the day, so only managed a small pod with a couple of seed, so fingers crossed! (I knocked a bigger pod off the plant which had plenty - doh!).

Small update...

I have seedlings on the go for all of my early sowings, which I am pleased with... especially the Yorkshire Barghest, one of the two seed I had sprouted thankfully! 

db3ead3dcd9100bb8a38e4d5d4bf3808.jpg

Aji Bodysnatcher F3
Yorkshire Barghest F1 
Scotch Bonnet MOA (LOTG Biggest Bonnet)
Aji Lemon Drop (Growdown Throwdown)
Rio Huallaga Rocoto 

I've got them under a single 24w T5 tube in my Growlight Garden which is on during the daytime, I'll use windowsills if we get any decent sunshine (snowing here as I type, just been out to brush the snow off my GH to stop the roof folding).

I'll be waiting another week before sowing the rest of the chinenses (20/01) and a further 2 weeks before sowing my baccatum (03/02) and yet another 2 weeks before sowing annumms (17/02).  Mid March I will then follow with toms and other veg... hopefully this will follow a similar pattern to last year where I just about managed to keep a lid on things indoors until plant out time in early May.

I'm also please to report my veteran TS CARDI looks to be headed into a sixth year, showing good regrowth and fresh roots have hit the bottom of the deep 3l pot 8)

22d7a78eafccae2b79895af9b67c9c63.jpg

17e362851cb8341993a178493d767904.jpg

Superhot Sim said:
Great news about the old Cardi and the old fellow is looking fine Dennis, nice one, glad the Moa cardi have popped as well :dance: :hot: looking forward to sharing your season all the way my friend.
Cheers Sim, thanks again for the seed.

Masher said:
Congrats on the overwinter....nice fat trunk on that girl. 

Looks like your all dialed in for this season :cheers:

Thanks for stopping by Masher, all the best for a great season ahead.

OCD Chilehead said:
Excellent update. Always love seeing that TS Cardi.

Looks like a beautiful day there. I could use some sunshine myself. LOL

Thanks Chuck, yes even though it's freezing outside it warms my heart to see the old CARDI on the grow again!  The pic was taken a day or two ago, we have snow and grey skies today.  Roll on spring time!

So tonight I've been potting up all the early starts into 9cm pots to make room for the main sowing event, B&Q seedling compost with about 20% perlite added for this initial stage.  The tray in the back are Aji Bodysnatcher F3.

dc810a7e1f3a8d342142d74a087ea4e7.jpg

Venerable TS CARDI pushing on...
6f4b428969634851f75f0a8b580fe7ef.jpg

As per usual, been tweaking the growlist.  Added Thunder Mountain Longhorn (beautiful long twisty pods), Fatalii Gourmet Rocato (c.chinense that thinks its a Rocoto, possible cross?!), Santa Fe Grande replaces my 'pickling Jalapeno this year too.  I'm sure there will be more tweaks in the coming weeks, but here is the current list;

-- Annuum --
Beaver Dam
Thunder Mountain Longhorn
Santa Fe Grande
Ring of Fire

-- Baccatum --
Aji Fantasy
Aji White Fantasy
Aji Cristal
Aji Bodysnatcher F3 (Aji White Fantasy x Lemon Drop)
Lemon Drop
Nepalese Bell

-- Chinense --
Aji Jobito 
Aji Margariteno
Chupetinho
Fatalii Gourmet Rocato
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow CARDI
Giant TS CARDI Yellow
Scotch Bonnet MOA
7 Pot White
White Naga
Big Yellow Mamma
Embassy Naga
Yorkshire Barghest F1 (TS CARDI x Bhut Orange Copenhagen)

-- Pubescens --
Río Huallaga Rocoto

Back