• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing peppers for flavor

I have read all the threads on "best tasting super hot", etc.  Seems there are too many opinions on the matter, and my own tasting seems to mirror many of the common favorites.  So I won't go there.  What I am more interested in is:  In the culinary world, flavor should be the most important aspect.  Unfortunately, in the US, most of our agriculture systems are set up for maximizing yield.  Has anyone, or know of anyone, done testing to see if they can alter characteristics of super-hots?  I see a lot of hybridization, but what about research on how different nutrients in soil can enhance flavors in the pods.  I'm talking like making a fatalli more citrusy if we use nutrients similar to those used in oranges, or something like that.  There was this episode in the Netflix series "Chef's Table" where a guy in New York had a farm breed a squash to be more "squashy".  The end product was a mini butternut squash that concentrated the flavor of squash they were after.  Squash seems to be pretty boring compared to peppers.  Peppers have a pretty unique depth of flavor.  Like good scotch, wine, or coffee, there are plenty of layers of flavors to mess with.  These are the kinds of things that I stay awake thinking about at night. 

I guess what I am asking is what characteristics that make a pepper taste a certain way?  Wall thickness, membrane/placenta/seeds, color, juicyness, etc.  Which of these can be controlled by the environmental variables(soil, water, light, nutrients)?  And what can be control through selective breeding and hybridization?  I see a whole lot of crosses and am curious to see the reasoning for choosing those strains.  If you went through multiple generations, what did you use to as criteria for picking pods to keep seeds from?       

Thanks in advance!!

sbf

Back