• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Spicy Hard Cider

We received a couple bottles of hard cider for Christmas. The first: Seattle Cider Company Three Pepper cider. The link will take you to the home page, if you choose to look, then the Three Pepper version can be found under the Limited tab.

Their description:

APPLES: Granny Smith, Fuji, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Gala
TASTING NOTES: A small batch, limited edition cider available only at The Woods. Featuring an aroma of fresh, green jalapeños paired with a unique flavor profile, combining the taste of poblano, habanero and jalapeño peppers, this cider offers a kick followed by a subtly sweet finish. 

ABV: 6.9%
BRIX: 2.6

Our impression:

You will like this cider if you like monterey jack cheese. Seriously, it tastes a lot like the cheese, especially at first. In case you are thinking "apple", slow down. This doesn't taste strongly of apple. In a way it reminds me more of a nice sauvignon blanc with a bit of sparkle to it. The label has a slider bar as a scale from dry to sweet and the mark is set 3/4 of the way towards sweet. I don't know that I would rate its sweetness that high; I'd place it at half way, max, though others might disagree. I didn't really get "sweet" out of it until I was done drinking, so the label's description of "a subtly sweet finish" is pretty accurate.

Three peppers.... If you are a true chile head, your first couple of sips will leave you wondering where the chiles are. Eventually, though, you will pick up on a very mild heat. Unlike some chile-infused beverages, this doesn't really build as you continue to drink, but stays very mild. However, I think it is the pepper flavor that shifts it more towards monterey jack cheese than cider, in terms of flavor. At the same time, the pepper flavor itself isn't all that strong, either. 

Overall this is a light, crisp beverage, delightful to drink as long as you aren't demanding a strong apple flavor and nor a strong chile flavor or heat. It's easy to share with non-chilehead friends, though some might still find the heat intolerable. I can see buying it, myself, as a light summer drink. I do like a good sauvignon blanc, so this rates well with me.

EDIT: While their website states that this is available only at The Woods, the bottle I received was purchased at Jungle Jim's in the Cincinnati, OH area.

Back