• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Beansbeansbeansbeansbeansbeans.......

Looooove mah beans. Took a little eatin' trip to southeast Texas last year and learned me up on them Texas beans...Definitely not east coast sweet varieties like I'd been used to all my life.

So today I'm makin' my own version of the Texan recipe, I'd love to try lots of other bean recipes from you guys. Scovie's Spaghettios notwithstanding...

I grow all my own dry beans. Here I'm presoaking pintos and reds for a BEEG batch tomorrow. Also on the list of 'gredients (for two lbs dry beans)

Side pork (about a lb. and a half) I have used ham before, it tastes good too. Bacon? Can't ever keep from just frying that up and eating it. At least the side pork has a chance to make it to the pot...

Course ground beof (around a lb.)--This time I'm using ground venison, cuz' I have lots of that.

A couple good sized onions, chopped large (I use yellow, but any will do)

Garlic ( I REALLY like garlic, maybe you season to taste)

Cumin (again, to taste--you guys know what you like)

Chicken broth, I start with a quart, have never had to add more

Bay leaves

Salt, a teaspoon or two (I use a homemade Cajun variety, another recipe in itself)

Chiles...I mean FRESH chiles. What I have at the moment are jalapeno, but come next fall? I'll be reporting the effects of all manner of pod!

OK, that's what I remember off the top of my head, though I'll likely be adding some heat via dry hot powders.

So they soak...

15823621_231924497256843_7095867427471454292_n.jpg

Back again tomorrow....

*edit* Shit, I apologize...I just now threw my vac bags away that the beans were in. That's FOUR pounds dry, not two...

stettoman said:

I grow all my own dry beans.

Cool beans. (I know, I know... :rolleyes: ) I have a few questions for an experienced beaner. On average how many feet of planted row does it take to yield about 5lb of pintos? Do you let the bean pods dry on the plants, or do you have to pick them early so they don't shatter and throw your beans everywhere? If you pick them after they dry, do you still have to dry them more before you store them?
     I tried growing soup beans a few years back and failed comically. In the future, I'd like to have a larger garden where I can grow more commodity type crops like dry beans, but maybe not if it's going to take 100' of row to yield one pound of dry beans.

Hell, you mean 5 pounds dry or fresh? Depends on the bean and the season, but the pintos I've been growing I get a good 6-10 pounds from a 15 foot row. That would be "semi" dry. I always put my beans through a day of extra drying after shucking, just to be sure, and ESPECIALLY with the Christmas limas. They're just too fat to know if they're retaining moisture.

I tend to pick when the pod is nice and brown, and some have started to twist and open. The last two harvests were filthy wet and the harvest suffered for mold. I started using bean towers for the pole beans, they work great and support more plants than advertised.

If it's a dry fall I'll let them get dangerous open. but beans that fall on the ground are fine if they don't sit through a lot of dewy mornings or rainy weather. I had a pair of 35 foot rows of red bush beans do exactly that one year, a potential 50 lb harvest turned into maybe 10. I just waited to long.

The trick to bumper bean harvests, green or otherwise, is to pick several early, generating the fruiting panic. Same goes for a lot of veggies, like peppers. Beans need very little fert, as they make their own N. But be sure to coat seed with an inoculant. Nasty, stinky powders that ward off bacterials and promote bean production.....

stettoman said:

They make for great pressure relief, if that be what you get at....

We all know that's how you really lowered your heating costs.

Insulation. Pffft. :rolleyes:
stettoman said:
 but the pintos I've been growing I get a good 6-10 pounds from a 15 foot row.

:shocked: Dag, yo! That's better than I was expecting, especially for growing in a snowbank. I bet I could get a real bumper crop if I plant in soil!
     Thanks for the info, bro!

Don't be shy with the planting. USE the innoculants. Plant 'em thick, do not thin. That's an old Green Giant Tale, thinning. I have NEVER thinned any veggies but carrots and lettuce. If you're doing bush beans, mulch 'em. Keep the bean pods off the ground as much as possible. There is a possibility of mold, we got it in our green beans last year, but then again we were getting the shittiest wet summer ever for veggies. But be sure and harvest those first beans to propagate more.

If you want a big crop, you have to spend the time with them.

Back to BEAN cookin'.

Suspiciously absent are my chiles. I decided to hit the market this morning and grab something fresher than the jalas I got. I would so love to have an aji Amarrilo to try..

15895614_232455983870361_1711586523125459896_o.jpg

The only thing I cook before putting into the roaster is the ground meat and onion, topped with two tablespoons Cajun spice.

15941311_232456037203689_6029658772826210019_n.jpg

Everything else goes up his nose in the pot, and I set the dial to 300 to start, will adjust once burblin' begins. I do NOT trust the stat on these roasters.

15871707_232456093870350_4624244990987485242_n.jpg

Another correction--After the quart of chicken broth (I actually did a pint of chicken and a pint I found of ham juice from Christmas), I wound up adding a pint of water to get it to cover--My bad, as I mistook the amount of dry beans in the first place.

15965067_232456153870344_8778232000155061321_n.jpg

All in all, including prebrowning the ground meat, prep took all of an hour, next step is finding the perfect burble. I usually put chiles in with everything else, but aan hour or two won't kill this dish...

Will alert you to any changes, like waistline increases and such... :dance:

This is what it's about--No sprigs or sexy Hooters chick to make it taste like heaven, just a slab o' cornbread with a couple big ol' scoops of dem beans...

15873619_232647583851201_3519921053352546879_n.jpg

Not even sorry that the pic won't win any prizes, this shit rocks!!

I'm 57, never made cornbread in my life. Looked at a bunch of recipes online to find this one...

15875120_232647067184586_4551201603179082321_o.jpg

Now THIS is some moist, nomnomnommy cornbread! Most of the cornbreads I've had in my life made cornbread a less-than-second consideration, but this is the chocolate cake of cornbreads!!

15940705_232661740516452_6314347471086428592_n.jpg

My kids have thtreatened to get up in the middle of the night to polish this and the beans off. They've NEVER threatened my beans like that before.

And now that the meal is done and all have partaken, we shall commence to heating the house....

Damn dude. Both are spot on, can't believe it's your first cb.

Back