• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2017

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2017, geared towards growers from the following regions: 
  • Oregon
  • Washington
  • Alaska
  • Northern California
  • Idaho
  • Montana
  • Wyoming
  • British Columbia
Lets hope for a great grow season up here!  

Feel free to post any info about peppers growing (or not) in the PNW region (or not)

I'm actually on time this year and put my seeds into the starter tray 3 days ago.  I don't normally get them in until mid to late Jan.

So this year's grow list is:
  • Aji Cito
  • Brazilian Starfish
  • Inca Red Drop
  • Aji Amarillo
  • Red Manzano
  • Guatemalan Red Rocoto
  • Fatalii
  • 7 Pot White
  • Jay's Peach
  • Habanero Red Dominica
  • Habanero Red Jamaican
  • Habanero Hand Grenade Red
  • Morgue Red
  • Morgue Yellow
I decided to acquire all new seeds this year instead of use ones from last year's peppers.  I've been using my own seeds for about 3 years, and last year a lot of my peppers were obviously crosses.

I'll also grow a fair number of Jalapenos and Cayennes this year, but I have a local nursery always has very healthy starts, so I'll go pick them up in early April.  For some reason I've never had good luck with starting either from seed.  

I'm continuing my trend of making things easier on me this year.  I saw this start tray at a local hardware store and thought I'd give it a try.  It's made of styrofoam and is supposed to float on top of the water, keeping the starts at the right amount of water.  I always struggle with either over or under watering my starts, so we'll see if this makes things easier.

I also got a temperature controller for my starter heat mat.  I'm always putting a couple layers of towels down over the mat so as to not cook the starts.  The controller seems to be able to keep the plugs at a constant 80F (see the probe in the middle?).  We'll see how well it works.

IMG_6729.jpg

And one last picture for motivation.  This was my last harvest from 2016, just before our first big freeze around mid December.  Those Rocotos went in a ox tail stew!

IMG_6673.jpg

Thanks for starting up the PNW grow log, John.

It's good to see what others in our region are producing.
We can do chilis here   :party: !

Got my seeds in the dirt, well in Jiffy Pellets, on Jan 1.
Have transplanted 9 cells; noticed another 4 or 5 cells
showing hooks this morning.  The cold temps at night
seem to have slowed the pace in my germination
chambers this year, but progress is being made!

Not much to see, but this is the basic set-up:

IMG_4629.JPG

IMG_4628.JPG

Well, after two seasons growing here in Tacoma I learned a lot. This year I insulated, heated and lit my Sunroom/Greenhouse and got an early start. It seems to be paying off. Of my initial planting Dec 5th I have 44 transplanted now with a few more to do.

IMG_1291.JPG

I did a second planting 1/3 and have a few coming up now. Pics soon

Awaiting my Aji Lemon Drop seeds from Tradewinds so I can join in the Throwdown, should be here any day now.

Wishing everyone an awesome season!!

Steve

Devv said:
Wow Steve, a spectacular start!

Good luck this season!
Thanks! I'm pretty excited. Just hope I can keep the Aphids at bay. I struggle with them every season, especially on the young plants. The Greenhouse and light are making all the difference .. and a spouse who is not freakin out about the higher electric bill. Well not too much at least

Any you guys have an excess of one pepper variety? Trades? I am hoping for more seed variety on my heat mats. Any extra wilds, peach or chocolates out there? I have 10-15 varieties to trade.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Woah, Steve, yu are leading the pack, now, my friend!
Great looking beginning to our grow...

Just reminding all PNW folk to be thinking
about the PNW ChiliFest this coming September!
Never too early to reserve the date and get plans
going so last minute things don't interfere!  It has been
a blast meeting chili heads from the PNW.  the more,
the merrier.  September 8-10, 2017!

Last year's NWCF:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/58229-nwcfseattle-area-potluck-2016-happened-sept-9-10-11/page-1

Devv said:
I know I don't fit in here, as I'm in South Texas. But I love the fact 'yall are here!
The door is always open, my brother!

PaulG said:
Woah, Steve, yu are leading the pack, now, my friend!
Great looking beginning to our grow...

Just reminding all PNW folk to be thinking
about the PNW ChiliFest this coming September!
Never too early to reserve the date and get plans
going so last minute things don't interfere!  It has been
a blast meeting chili heads from the PNW.  the more,
the merrier.  September 8-10, 2017!

Thanks Paul, I'm real pleased with this years setup. It's making a world of difference.

SalsaLady told me about the ChiliFest .. sounds awesome. And it's really close to me if I'm not mistaken. I plan to go for sure.

Here's a few pics from my grow tower. I have since built a 3rd shelf and lighting, so I'm rolling at max capacity. Growing something like 30-35 varieties w/ 3 OG Heirloom tomato varieties to keep them company. Right when I feel completely out of space I find a way to add more.
c59b535024cc2703997942581b8445b4.jpg
1cbc9f425113d9caad2460f249bd3245.jpg

ec44abcd90f2e7defd6121f1289f565c.jpg
5e90c1b852fa56afe54a151f0c29cabc.jpg
cd6ce9b24787056e0336f83136b2df72.jpg
494f874413f7422a5d03e24752ddc846.jpg
123f38f48383a8398f10dd639ed41d8f.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back