• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Confirmation of Ghost Peppers

Hi I've been growing some ghost peppers in Sydney, Australia and would like to confirm that the peppers growing are actually what they are labelled as.

Both were bought as small plants with no peppers and both have been growing like crazy.

The first was labelled as a White Ghost Pepper and currently has 70+  light green pods with a few ripening to a cream colour as seen in the pic.  I tried a quarter of a ripe pod and it was amazing. Juicy, fruity and super hot. The pod had very thick walls too.

IMG_20170106_180107.jpg
IMG_20170107_104740_2.jpg

The second was labelled a Ghost Pepper and has about 20 green pods with none ripening yet.

IMG_20170106_180024.jpg
IMG_20170106_180037.jpg
IMG_20170106_180053.jpg

Do they look like the correct varieties?

Cheers :)

Neither one looks like a true Ghost to me but the White Ghost strains I've seen all look rather different from the red. Given that the White's shape is still pretty close, I'd be willing to believe that that one's legit, if a little yellower than I thought white was meant to be.
The second one, however, looks rather more Habanero like and has some interesting splotches of different green shades. I doubt it's a real Ghost I'm afraid.

spicefreak said:
Neither one looks like a true Ghost to me but the White Ghost strains I've seen all look rather different from the red. Given that the White's shape is still pretty close, I'd be willing to believe that that one's legit, if a little yellower than I thought white was meant to be.
The second one, however, looks rather more Habanero like and has some interesting splotches of different green shades. I doubt it's a real Ghost I'm afraid.
+ 1 

spicefreak said:
+2

Thanks for the help! Regardless of what they are, I'm super happy after my taste of the first White Pepper and definitely had my doubts about the standard "Ghost Pepper" as it looked nothing like the pictures I've seen online.

Just to confirm the regular "Ghost Pepper" is probably some sort of Habanero or Habanero cross?

Either way I'm excited to be growing some interesting peppers and I don't really mind what they turn out to be. In fact a Habanero of some description sounds excellent for a hot sauce, which is where a majority of these will end up.

I may be back with more questions in the near future as I have some plants growing from seeds bought on Ebay. I will be interested to see what they are once they start producing peppers (three yellow varieties...supposedly, Yellow Scotch Bonnet, Lemon Drop and Bahamian Goat).

Thanks again! :)

Nice plants and peppers , whatever they are .
Enjoy the peppers , not just the names.

The second one is not a ghost or habanero , only one flower/pepper per node. It does look a lot like my piquante/peppadew.

Wait till it ripens , cut it  and post another pic., but for now not a hab.

awa1l said:
Thanks for the help! Regardless of what they are, I'm super happy after my taste of the first White Pepper and definitely had my doubts about the standard "Ghost Pepper" as it looked nothing like the pictures I've seen online.

Just to confirm the regular "Ghost Pepper" is probably some sort of Habanero or Habanero cross?

Either way I'm excited to be growing some interesting peppers and I don't really mind what they turn out to be. In fact a Habanero of some description sounds excellent for a hot sauce, which is where a majority of these will end up.

I may be back with more questions in the near future as I have some plants growing from seeds bought on Ebay. I will be interested to see what they are once they start producing peppers (three yellow varieties...supposedly, Yellow Scotch Bonnet, Lemon Drop and Bahamian Goat).

Thanks again! :)

Ghost pepper / bhut jolokia is a landrace type pepper which grows wild in parts of india.
Ghost pepper is actually thought to be an inter species hybrid between some unknown peppers. i guess its possible there is some habanero in there somewhere but it came about by itself. probably not though, more likely naga (chinense) x annum or something. 

So no, its not a simple cross between a habanero & something else.

agree with the others, not a ghost pepper. may have ghost pepper in it somewhere but its not a pure ghost pepper by any means

Back