• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Stabilizing the CPR

I have started 5 CPR seedlings from Butch Taylor stock and ~5 from Moruga Welder...thinking of growing these 10 out to find the one that is the most productive to save seeds from (with insect netting to isolate around a 15 gal pot for each strain...yeah 5 plants in one pot...space is limited!).  Maybe then we'd have a stable strain of this pepper that so many people were excited for (like me) that turned out to have limited germination and productivity.  it will be my summer project!  Then in the fall, I might just do a seed giveaway again and spread the love, THP style.  Thoughts?   

I hope it works !  Wish'd it would of done better , but  didn't . There was one notable thing , The 2 in containers  had better production than the 4 in the garden . 

Reactions: BSH
I got something like 10 seeds from Tony Rose. 10% germination rate and the plant that did grow was slooooow to produce and pod. I had to bring it indoors to complete on the vine maturity. Oddly this plant did not do very well in bright sunlight. Leaves curled and remained gnarley throughout the summer grow. I brought it indoors and the leaves have begun to grow as you would expect. I just removed the final pod yesterday. I will post a pic later.
I have, since my CPR disappointment been introduced to the chocolate primo which in my opinion is fabulous for powder. I am looking for chocolate reaper to maybe combine the two outside of the current genetic pool.

My thinking is you may limit production by making them fight for root space in a pot that crowded. Finding the great pheno might be deceptive with that technique. IMO you'd be better off putting each one in a small single pot. Selecting for pheno takes a good amount of space, there is really no getting around that.

hogleg said:
My thinking is you may limit production by making them fight for root space in a pot that crowded. Finding the great pheno might be deceptive with that technique. IMO you'd be better of putting each one in a small single pot. Selecting for pheno takes a good amount of space, there is really no getting around that.
I guess I could do 10 3 gallon containers and still isolate them. Like Capcom, I got on the chocolate primo train after ordering from whitehotpeppers so we'll see how his seeds do. I just really want the CPR to work out because it's exactly what I'm going for aesthetically from a pepper. That and productivity. I don't have room for 100 plants so I need the ones I have to pump out the pods. Thanks for the suggestion.

BSH said:
I guess I could do 10 3 gallon containers and still isolate them. Like Capcom, I got on the chocolate primo train after ordering from whitehotpeppers so we'll see how his seeds do. I just really want the CPR to work out because it's exactly what I'm going for aesthetically from a pepper. That and productivity. I don't have room for 100 plants so I need the ones I have to pump out the pods. Thanks for the suggestion.
3 gal containers are going to be a lot of work just in maintaining proper hydration and nutrients during a hot summer. You would fare better in reduced quantities of plants for larger quality in larger containers. I will be growing in no smaller than 7 gal pots this year with much of my grow going in 10 and 15 gal containers.

CAPCOM said:
3 gal containers are going to be a lot of work just in maintaining proper hydration and nutrients during a hot summer. You would fare better in reduced quantities of plants for larger quality in larger containers. I will be growing in no smaller than 7 gal pots this year with much of my grow going in 10 and 15 gal containers.

As much as I wish I was in all 15gal pots, I find the short wide 7gal pots to be very efficient and effective. All my 15gal or bigger are reserved for pubes.

hogleg said:

As much as I wish I was in all 15gal pots, I find the short wide 7gal pots to be very efficient and effective. All my 15gal or bigger are reserved for pubes.
Yeah, I have seen those as well. Just haven't seen any evals on their use. Gets really hot and dry here during some summers and the thought was shallow pots my lose hydration faster.

CAPCOM said:
I usually use 5 gal buckets because I just don't have room for anything bigger. It's a real problem, like you said, with maintaining hydration and nutrition but it's the only way I can get 36 varieties going (1 plant of each variety with a few exceptions = I take my chances with phenotypes). We had temps into the high 30's all summer here (around 100°f) and it was very hard to keep them watered appropriately because it would just evaporate out. My backyard gives me maybe 30 square feet to work with so if I ever move, I want to just put them in the dirt but for now I'm stuck with containers. I guess I have to turn down your newbie offer after considering all this Capcom now that I'm working out 10 CPR plants for sure but thanks for the offer. I wish I could have these mystery varieties but I'm sure somebody will take them who has room.

BSH said:
I usually use 5 gal buckets because I just don't have room for anything bigger. It's a real problem, like you said, with maintaining hydration and nutrition but it's the only way I can get 36 varieties going (1 plant of each variety with a few exceptions = I take my chances with phenotypes). We had temps into the high 30's all summer here (around 100°f) and it was very hard to keep them watered appropriately because it would just evaporate out. My backyard gives me maybe 30 square feet to work with so if I ever move, I want to just put them in the dirt but for now I'm stuck with containers. I guess I have to turn down your newbie offer after considering all this Capcom now that I'm working out 10 CPR plants for sure but thanks for the offer. I wish I could have these mystery varieties but I'm sure somebody will take them who has room.
I wrap my pots in white material, keeps the sun off the black plastic and keeps the roots cool. I also mulch the top couple of inches with lucerne. Hope that info is helpful, I also live in a hot climate.

That's what I use...White 5 gallon relish containers from the family restaurant. They work well

678ab6dae6a685dfe868e30c23d77b0c.jpg

Upper 9 is from moruga welder, doing well. Going to separate seedlings tomorrow. Bottom 9 is butch T's original seedlings...They're stunted and not growing. Might just grow the two biggest ones. Might grow a third strain too...A member on here made me an offer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just a tip for using single pots

You can place a drip tray under those 3/5/7 gal nursery pots and let the excess watering flood the tray....about 1" at most.....it will wick back into the soil as the plant needs it.

I use trays that are 1 or 2 sizes larger than the pot just for this method.

Reactions: BSH
3661e09b1b0a155bf1bcda090929d81f.jpg

2 total from butch T, 5 from moruga welder and will be starting some ISO seeds from a third source as soon as they arrive. I don't think the butch T strain is going to make it...Not really progressing.

Back